2017 Big Horn HID Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Britton55024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just drove my '17 off the lot and was thinking of the cheap and simple upgrades I could do to make it mine. First thing I thought of was HIDs. I had a few sets sitting around that fit the lows and the fogs and ordered the highs. Put them all in and they were working fine. Didn't need to use them till a couple nights later and that's when I noticed the problems. They all work fine when the key is in the run position and engine is off. But when i start the engine is when the problem starts, they flicker on and off then stay on for a min then off for good and my dash tells me i have a light out.

All sets do have ballasts so there shouldnt be any issues with power. I am thinking computer related?. Any ideas?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yeap, that started with the '15 trucks. You'll need to add resistors or CANbus error correctors. I just replaced the cheaply made ones that came with LED fogs, they are from Diode Dynamics.
I think The RetroShop makes a HID relay harness

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The new trucks are really picky when it comes to HID's. Most older kits won't work but there are solutions.

I'd contact JJ @ Retroshop through his website for the right kit.

mikaelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have DDM tuning HID in my truck and they work well for budget ones. They have a can bus line of ballasts that work with the RAM. As a plus, once I cut the mounting tabs off the ballasts, I was able to tuck all of the assembly with the extra wires etc into the headlight assembly so I didn't have to cut any holes in the dust cover.

They go for about $80 but are limited to 35w HIDs.

OP
OP
B

Britton55024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered some relay harnesses that should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

S2000gtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have DDM tuning HID in my truck and they work well for budget ones. They have a can bus line of ballasts that work with the RAM. As a plus, once I cut the mounting tabs off the ballasts, I was able to tuck all of the assembly with the extra wires etc into the headlight assembly so I didn't have to cut any holes in the dust cover.

They go for about $80 but are limited to 35w HIDs.

ANy issue with them also does the canbus get too hot since it's inside the headlight assemble ? I have a 2015 ram sport with projectors and I ordered the opt7 led but did not like that you have to cut a hole in the dust cap and mount the canbus to metal since it got so overwhelming hot that it melts the wires .

I just seen your post and I think this is the solution that I am looking for

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2015 ram sport with projectors and I ordered the opt7 led but did not like that you have to cut a hole in the dust cap and mount the canbus to metal since it got so overwhelming hot that it melts the wires .

I don't know if they changed something drastically with the Opt7 LEDs, but the CANbus and the power supply external to the bulbs get warm to the touch. You can hold them in your hand even after running for 45 minutes straight.
I think people were cutting holes in the dust cap for the fan cooling.
The regular halogen bulbs will actually heat the whole housing that you can feel. If you live where you get snow/ice, without the bulb heat, your headlights may freeze over.

S2000gtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know if they changed something drastically with the Opt7 LEDs, but the CANbus and the power supply external to the bulbs get warm to the touch. You can hold them in your hand even after running for 45 minutes straight.
I think people were cutting holes in the dust cap for the fan cooling.
The regular halogen bulbs will actually heat the whole housing that you can feel. If you live where you get snow/ice, without the bulb heat, your headlights may freeze over.

I had opt7 1gen in my 2014 ram with quad light . They work perfectly . Now that I have 2015 with projectors I order the new opt7 flux beam .
For one like I mentioned before the canbus is metal and got extremely hot . It even melted one of the opt7 wire . After reading some more online I realize it said to mounttje canbus outside on metal . No where in the instruction that they send did they suggest that. Also it suffers from the led problem where the entire projector doesn't have light. Only the edges. I have attach a picture . For that reason I took them out . I did not want to cut a hole in my own dust cap and the entire projector doesn't not get illuminated, only the corners .

Now I'm looking into hid solution with canbus that can fit into the dust cap . And seeing what users are recommending

Attachments

• IMG_3513.jpg
    IMG_3513.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 18

raj005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Projectors?

This is probably a silly question but how do you tell if you have projectors or not? I also have a 2017 Big Horn and would like to upgrade the lights but I can't find anything explicitly stating if it is equipped with projectors or not.

OP
OP
B

Britton55024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is probably a silly question but how do you tell if you have projectors or not? I also have a 2017 Big Horn and would like to upgrade the lights but I can't find anything explicitly stating if it is equipped with projectors or not.
You likely have standard housings.

I received the relays and it took me about 2 hours to get the lows and highs installed and working. The relays could have been a little longer but that's what I get for ordering from amazon. Also when I hooked up the fogs the relay was clicking really loud (likely not compatible with the size) I decided to go back to halogen on the fogs for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk