2017 projector bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Hey fellas question real quick, has anybody changed out the bulbs in a 2017 with factory projectors yet? I would like to go to led for a clean white look. Will the opt7 bulbs work in a 2017? And last question is what's the bulb size on these now? 9005?

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it's 9005
The led won't work because of the canbus system and they're not bright
Get a hid kit with a dual relay quad resistor harness and it'll be well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I had an hid kit in my 2013 ram and they are such a pain in the a$$ I was thinking I'd try led this time. My buddy has them in his 2015 and they look great.

My1stRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the OPT7 leds in my 2017 Sport w projectors and they didn't work very well so I returned them and went with HIDs. This weekend I installed the HIDs for fogs, high and low beams and am extremely happy. Finding places to hide all the ballasts and resistors was the most time consuming part.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, they switched to 9005. The LED bulbs do not work well in our projectors. There are many threads, on this forum and others, talking about this. There is actually a current thread talking about the Opt7 LEDs right now….see the link below. Though the LEDs bulbs look bright from the front, they do not throw much down the road (distance) very well at all. If you just want the color and don’t care about the actual useable light, then get them….otherwise get a HID kit or keep it stock. In the beginning you needed to get a large wiring harness that used capacitors and resistors, etc, for the HID kits. Now, there are a few companies that sell HID kits that work with our Rams that only require an “anti-ficker” module installed in line with the canbus ballast….much easier.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/install...d_low_beams_**updated_night_pictures**-95801/

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Yes, they switched to 9005. The LED bulbs do not work well in our projectors. There are many threads, on this forum and others, talking about this. There is actually a current thread talking about the Opt7 LEDs right now….see the link below. Though the LEDs bulbs look bright from the front, they do not throw much down the road (distance) very well at all. If you just want the color and don’t care about the actual useable light, then get them….otherwise get a HID kit or keep it stock. In the beginning you needed to get a large wiring harness that used capacitors and resistors, etc, for the HID kits. Now, there are a few companies that sell HID kits that work with our Rams that only require an “anti-ficker” module installed in line with the canbus ballast….much easier.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/install...d_low_beams_**updated_night_pictures**-95801/

Would one of those plug and play kits be the kit from retro shops? I just ordered the hid for my ram I swapped my quads for projector lights and now got there $225 kit?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Would one of those plug and play kits be the kit from retro shops? I just ordered the hid for my ram I swapped my quads for projector lights and now got there $225 kit?

its the dioade dynamics anti-flicker can-bus adapter. Retroshop does sell them. One thing to note though is they work for 35 watt ballast nothing larger.

My1stRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did 55w 4500k kits for all 3 sets from retro shop

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No, that was not the "plug and play" kit I was thinking about. But like quietpeen said, get that DD anti-flicker module and the HID kit from Retro Shop then you'll have the plug and play kit. I did not know JJ was selling those DD modules....I didn't see it on his website anywhere. I'm also surprised to see that he is still selling the 50watt HID kits. He told me a long time ago he was going to stop selling them for a few reasons.

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
I did 55w 4500k kits for all 3 sets from retro shop

Any issues with flickering or general problems at all? I ordered a 55watt 5000k kit and have the tyc projector housings with the adapter and resistors hook up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My1stRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any issues with flickering or general problems at all? I ordered a 55watt 5000k kit and have the tyc projector housings with the adapter and resistors hook up

Sent from my iPada

No issues in regards to flickering or anything. I have stock projectors. If you want I can send you some pictures of light output.

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Yea that would be great .. I got a cheap kit online and ended up returning it because the light output sucked and my lights would turn off in my middle of my driving. If you have pics of where you mounted everything that would be great !

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
any 15-17 truck needs theretrofitsource mopar spec relay harness. It has 4 resistors, a capacitor and 2 relays.
I used the diode dynamics anti flicker capacitors on my friends 15 ram and they went out on her within a week.
I was running 55 watt ballast too though lol
I put a relay on and there was no problem anymore.
LED bulbs are cool, they're bright up close but not for far distance viewing.
HID is the way to go.

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
any 15-17 truck needs theretrofitsource mopar spec relay harness. It has 4 resistors, a capacitor and 2 relays.
I used the diode dynamics anti flicker capacitors on my friends 15 ram and they went out on her within a week.
HID is the way to go.

Sweet I ordered the 15+ kit that I think comes with everything I need, it says it's comes with the molar spec harness. I dread mounting all this as I also already have 4 resistors in the truck because my truck came with quads and not factory projectors so when I upgraded I had to by the wire harness so the new projectors worked

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Are you guys with the hid kits able to fit all of the components inside the projector headlights like I was able to with my 13 and quads?

My1stRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys with the hid kits able to fit all of the components inside the projector headlights like I was able to with my 13 and quads?

Nope. Just bulb is in my projector housing.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
HID is the way to go.

i bet that was because of the 55 watt ballasts lol. I have been using the anti-flicker canbus adapters for a while now and no issues. (knock on wood)

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i bet that was because of the 55 watt ballasts lol. I have been using the anti-flicker canbus adapters for a while now and no issues. (knock on wood)

You beat me to it.

DD says VERY clearly that the anti-flicker module is not compatible with the 55 watt HID kit. To say that they didn't work and then immediately say you burned them up by not following instructions is ignorant. :slap: If you want to use 55 watt kit, then yes you will need that ridiculously large wiring harness.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm gonna try with the HID kit I'll be ordering within a couple weeks. I know some guys were doing that with the kit from Retro Shop BEFORE they started to need that large wiring harness.

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I'm gonna try with the HID kit I'll be ordering within a couple weeks. I know some guys were doing that with the kit from Retro Shop BEFORE they started to need that large wiring harness.

Ok please keep me posted because I like a clean install. If I can fit everything inside of the headlight like I did with my 2013 quads I will do it for sure.