2017 Ram Bighorn OEM SS Tubular Side Steps End Caps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brahma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks-

I just finished installing my rear OEM molded splash guards, and I'm happy with them. I also bought the front set with the knowledge they aren't supposed to fit with my OEM Wheel-to-Wheel SS Tubular Side Steps. Upon looking at the situation, the front end cap design of the steps is needlessly too thick (1"?), and take up just enough space to make the front splash guards not fit.

In the era of CAD/CAM design- someone truly screwed up at MOPAR. I estimate 1/2" is all I need to enable the fit of the front guards. The caps could easily be redesigned to allow for the guards- why MOPAR hasn't done that is pretty dumb.

I've searched for a couple hours, and can't find a part number for just the end caps. My hope is to either buy a set and mod them, or 3D scan them, then mod them to 3D print. Or, if there is some after market cap solution anyone has heard of, that would be cool too.

Ideas?

This design is absurd;

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 206

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have the same problem and need to get mine cut down.

I'm curious what others used to successfully make the cut with, how it turned out and if the SS ended up with any discoloration afterwards.

A local shop wanted to charge me $60/hr and estimated 2-3hrs to cut and repolish out any discoloration.

Last edited:

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same problem and need to get mine cut down.

I'm curious what others used to successfully make the cut with, how it turned out and if the SS ended up with any discoloration afterwards.

A local shop wanted to charge me $60/hr and estimated 2-3hrs to cut and repolish out any discoloration.

I had a large bandsaw at my work that I used. Took 20 min. tops for me to remove and cut them. I removed the steps, marked 1" off the tube and cut it with the bandsaw. Cut it slow for a clean cut, no discoloration. I then used a file to clean up the edges and drilled new holes on the bottom of the tube to secure the plastic cap. I took my time because I am a bit of a perfectionist and they turned out great. You wouldnt be able to tell they were shortened by looking at them. They basically look the way they should have from the factory.

Last edited: