285/60r20 to 295/60r20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've got a while yet before I plan to do this change as I still have about 15k miles left out of the tires I'm running. But I'm a compulsive planner and researcher and I like to know everything way ahead of time so the research has already started.

I've got the stock 20s on my 2500 and they came with 285/60r20. When I replaced the Transjunks, I had a hard time finding new tires in that size that I thought were worth the money. EXO Grapplers come in that size but I didn't feel like dropping $1700 on tires I'd seen few reviews for. I went with Trail Hogs and they're good but won't last long. So as I begin my search for the next set of rubber, I've found that 295/60r20 is a far more common size. I plan to go a little less aggressive next time around and there are tons of options. Terra Grappler G2s, Discoverer AT3, Open Country AT2, Pro Comp AT Sport, Ridge Grapplers, it's a good list. I'm thinking of trying the Pro Comps for the price tag and the 60k warranty in all sizes (best I've found so far).

So now that we've got the backstory out of the way, I come to you guys for your opinions because I'm on the fence. The 295 is 0.4 inches taller than the 285 and turns 9 revs/mile less. At standard around town speeds, my speedo will be off by about 0.5 mph while highway speeds will have me off by about 1 mph. This is all according to the comparison calculators I've found. So what do you guys think? Should I bother getting the speedo recalibrated for the change in size or leave it as is? I read somewhere that there's a 10% margin of error in stock calibration anyway (can't find where I read that again though) so it looks like I'd still fall well into that. I'm just not sure if it's worth the cost to have my speedo dead on when it's only going to be off by about 1mph at the most. What do y'all think?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
1mph isn't much so I think you will be more than ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jljbtm

Reaction score
If the 295 is offer a better Tire I would go with that 1 mph isn't much

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 mph off is not worth worrying about or spending $$$$$ to correct. Like stated, there is a slight variance from the manufacturer anyway...

Now if you go to a 295/65/20 you might want to reconsider :)

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
1 mph off is not worth worrying about or spending $$$$$ to correct. Like stated, there is a slight variance from the manufacturer anyway...

Now if you go to a 295/65/20 you might want to reconsider :)

This is more or less what I was thinking but figured I'd throw the question out just in case somebody knows something I don't (very likely on this forum lol). Don't know that I'll ever want to go up to 35s but who knows.

Thanks everybody for the opinions!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I've got a while yet before I plan to do this change as I still have about 15k miles left out of the tires I'm running. But I'm a compulsive planner and researcher and I like to know everything way ahead of time so the research has already started.

I've got the stock 20s on my 2500 and they came with 285/60r20. When I replaced the Transjunks, I had a hard time finding new tires in that size that I thought were worth the money. EXO Grapplers come in that size but I didn't feel like dropping $1700 on tires I'd seen few reviews for. I went with Trail Hogs and they're good but won't last long. So as I begin my search for the next set of rubber, I've found that 295/60r20 is a far more common size. I plan to go a little less aggressive next time around and there are tons of options. Terra Grappler G2s, Discoverer AT3, Open Country AT2, Pro Comp AT Sport, Ridge Grapplers, it's a good list. I'm thinking of trying the Pro Comps for the price tag and the 60k warranty in all sizes (best I've found so far).

So now that we've got the backstory out of the way, I come to you guys for your opinions because I'm on the fence. The 295 is 0.4 inches taller than the 285 and turns 9 revs/mile less. At standard around town speeds, my speedo will be off by about 0.5 mph while highway speeds will have me off by about 1 mph. This is all according to the comparison calculators I've found. So what do you guys think? Should I bother getting the speedo recalibrated for the change in size or leave it as is? I read somewhere that there's a 10% margin of error in stock calibration anyway (can't find where I read that again though) so it looks like I'd still fall well into that. I'm just not sure if it's worth the cost to have my speedo dead on when it's only going to be off by about 1mph at the most. What do y'all think?

If you have an obdlink and the alfaobd app you can re-calibrate your speedo with the new tire size. Personally, if this is all you're going to use the alfaobd for then no, it's not worth the money. But the obdlink offers so many things. I've changed the computer to roll the windows down with the fob, turn off the seat belt chime, code for LED lights without having to use resistors to essentially trick the ECU into thinking I have halogens, get rid of the lines on my backup cam, change it so the fogs don't turn off with the high beams. But you can do thousands of other things with it including view and clear codes that won't necessarily appear in your HUD messages. It's worth the purchase in my opinion.

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have 295/60-20 Yokohama tires on my 1500 and I believe the speedometer is now about 2 mph off at 60. I just keep that in mind while driving...

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went the other way with a slightly shorter tire. The biggest thing I would do is use a GPS app and verify how far off the speedo is. Going to a larger tire, your speedo will read slower than you are actually traveling and it would suck to get a ticket for not knowing how far off you are.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Holy zombie thread lol. I ended up with the Pro Comps in 295/60. They were great tires. I put around 25k on them before I ended up trading the truck. I never recalibrated the speedo and everything worked out fine. Apparently there's a 10% margin of error in the factory speedo calibration anyway so it didn't much matter. To anyone reading the zombie thread, the Pro Comps are great tires, not at all noisy. Capable in every situation I ran them in and wear well on the heavy duties.