Adding running lights to the cab of a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NONE
How difficult and expensive is it for the dealer or a reputable aftermarket installer to add the roof mounted running lights to a 2500?

Want to buy the kit from the local RAM dealer and probably have them do the install, assuming it's not going to cost an arm and a leg. :)

BTW, these should be on a separate switch from the headlamps, right?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

BTW, these should be on a separate switch from the headlamps, right?

No, they are switched on with the parking/running lights circuit and not separately switched normally.

The job is not difficult if the template is followed correctly for hole alignment. I would lean towards a dealership install as it will then be covered with a basic work warranty from them for at least 12 months.

My biggest concern is making sure you know the mouth breather that is going to be doing the work and takes care to treat the cut bare metal properly when the holes are made.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a super easy mod. I have installed and/or helped install these on several Rams.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes you have Rubber. The last one we did together! I as well... done at least 10 of these.

I will say get the Mopar kit and you'll have a template and it's super easy to you.

You'll have to remove the A and B pillars, sun-visors and lower the headliner down a bit.

Drill 15 holes on your roof.. but it's easy and the Mopar kit is high quality. Not like a Recon kit.

On your truck there is a plug on the passenger side under the panel on the absolute side of your dash. Tap in there.

Last edited:

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hardest part is convincing yourself to drill 15 holes in the roof of a perfectly good truck.

CDNUSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone install the roof lights on a 1500? I like the big rig look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The hardest part is convincing yourself to drill 15 holes in the roof of a perfectly good truck.

I remember putting a sun roof in my Dakota years ago. Marked everything out and literally walked circles around the truck for close to 30 min debating if I really wanted to cut a huge ******** I'm my roof. Truck was only a few years old at the time. Once the first cut was made it was on from there, really no turning back at that point.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I remember putting a sun roof in my Dakota years ago. Marked everything out and literally walked circles around the truck for close to 30 min debating if I really wanted to cut a huge ******** I'm my roof. Truck was only a few years old at the time. Once the first cut was made it was on from there, really no turning back at that point.

Remember the "chop top" conversion fad of the late 1980's, early 1990's on regular cab trucks? Helped a few friends do that and the same scenario of no turning back once you cut came into play.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

....and before drilling, consider how past projects that have involved cutting turned out.

Yep....I'd be having the dealership do it.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Can anyone recommend a decent quality aftermarket LED clearance light? I have OEM's and have tried a couple different LED bulbs, but they inevitably start to flicker and fail. Its annoying and I am done. I want LED still, but tired of cheap bulbs failing after a couple months.