Advice on tackling some chrome.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crossrifles

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4x4 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to paint my mirrors and door handles matte black. I'm mechanically inclined, but is this a job left to a pro?
Has anyone tackled this type of job? Suggestions?
DSC_0432-1.jpg

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy Mark tried the plasti dip on his 4th gen. Didn't hold up well. He had it wrapped in flat vinyl...looks 110% better. Still, not a replacement for paint, but visually looks better IMO.

As far as painting it...it is a very long.time consuming process. When I had the chrome bumper on my truck painted it cost me an arm and a leg.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Plasti-dip would be something to try. If it starts to peel off it removes very easily. My rims are done in plasti-dip and they have held up fairly well. I just realized now I should have put on at least one more coat. I will probably redo them at some point. If you've got questions about the stuff, just ask. A bunch of us have used the stuff on a number of different things. Just myself, I've used it on my rims, grill insert, front and rear emblems, and the chrome ring around the shifter. So far it's held up great and been on for I guess about 3 months now.

There are pics on another forum of a guy with the chrome bumper like you have plasti-dipping it and I think it looks fantastic. Another guy used it on his front and rear chrome bumpers. It's foolproof stuff to use and goes on very easily.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
eh, scuff that stuff and shoot it!

SEM makes a GREAT satin (matte) black too. ;)

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I like that black grille shell on you mineral grey truck...it contrasts well...

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You could always remove them, sand them down and apply a automotive spray paint of the color of your choice.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Alot of adhearsion promoter would also be needed.

OP
OP
Crossrifles

Crossrifles

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4x4 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I'll start with the mirrors first.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Not sure about PD-ing the handles since you are touching it every time you go in the truck. Even cured your hands may have the scent if you use the handles a lot.

This is true. I would consider replacing the handles with color matched ones rather than trying to paint the chrome. I would think the wear and tear of daily using and grabbing the handle could wear down the paint back to chrome if you painted over the chrome.

OP
OP
Crossrifles

Crossrifles

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4x4 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any source for color match handles?

OP
OP
Crossrifles

Crossrifles

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4x4 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks.
Plan is to black the side mirrors and color match the handles.