Alloy Wheel and Tire to replace Steel Wheel Spare on 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Interstateflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.7 Diesel
I have a 2016 RAM 2500 6.7 Laramie 4x4. I'd like to replace the OEM stamped steel spare wheel and OEM 18 inch Firestone Transforce HT tire with an OEM Alloy wheel and OEM 18 inch Transforce AT tire like those that came on the four on the ground.

Will the Alloy wheel/tire work as a replacement for the stamped steel/tire spare?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not really sure if one will fit or not. You'd have to measure the height of that spare and check the offset of the wheel, then see how much more room you have for a different setup for any additional tire/wheel height.

Offset will just impact how much of the mounting stud will be left to attach to.

OP
OP
I

Interstateflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.7 Diesel
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not really sure if one will fit or not. You'd have to measure the height of that spare and check the offset of the wheel, then see how much more room you have for a different setup for any additional tire/wheel height.

Offset will just impact how much of the mounting stud will be left to attach to.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm wondering is anyone in the forum has actually tried doing this?

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Everything is the exact same size, but you would have to loose the center cap in your spare rim to be able to winch it up in the spares spot under the truck, and I'm betting it would get mighty scratched and dirty being under there.

Is there a reason for doing this other than vanity after you get a flat?

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
The biggest issue I see is the bracket that goes through the center of the wheel. Generally the opening on an alloy wheel is smaller.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

Interstateflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.7 Diesel
Everything is the exact same size, but you would have to loose the center cap in your spare rim to be able to winch it up in the spares spot under the truck, and I'm betting it would get mighty scratched and dirty being under there.

Is there a reason for doing this other than vanity after you get a flat?

I purchased an OEM wheel (new 2016 RAM 2500 truck take off) and a tire so that I would have a robust wheel and matching Firestone Transforce AT for a trip to Alaska last summer, towing a travel trailer. It was carried in the bed and gave me two spares (Transforce HT underneath on steel wheel) for the dodgy road surfaces in the Yukon and Alaska.

I'd like to make the alloy wheel the full time spare instead of letting it sit in the garage.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The biggest issue I see is the bracket that goes through the center of the wheel. Generally the opening on an alloy wheel is smaller.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
That exactly will be the problem.
The bracket on the end of the winch cable will not fit through the center bore of an alloy wheel.
You could modify it though. Slot it with an angle grinder so you can remove it from the cable, feed the cable through the wheel and attach the bracket then.
The bracket will scratch up your alloy wheel pretty good though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Interstateflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.7 Diesel
That exactly will be the problem.
The bracket on the end of the winch cable will not fit through the center bore of an alloy wheel.
You could modify it though. Slot it with an angle grinder so you can remove it from the cable, feed the cable through the wheel and attach the bracket then.
The bracket will scratch up your alloy wheel pretty good though.

Thanks.I'll give that a try.

Any idea why RAM put a wimpy steel wheel and highway tire spare on a 2500 4X4 with AT tires on the ground?