Amp PowerSteps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Finally got around to installing my PowerSteps that I've had sitting in the basement for a while. Well kind of. Cut the steps to recommended size, and followed the instructions. But when I went to test them out, the ends caps seemed to make contact with the bottom of the door panel. And then they jammed up and would not come down at all (had to pry in the center with plastic pry tool). Even managed to take a nice chunk out of one of the steps, ffs! Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? Still waiting to hear back from tech support (hopefully).
These things aren't cheap, but seem to be good quality. Just a pain in the ass that they're back to collecting dust.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I had the same problem with my AMP steps. I used a deadblow hammer and gently hammered the pinch weld out. You don't have to beat it to death, just move it far enough out so the steps will clear. I also used a pair of channel locks and a piece of leather to "fine tune" the pinch weld so the steps would not make contact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May have to give that a try, not sure if I trust myself enough though, lol. Thanks for the reply.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
This has just been a nightmare between the shipping companies and now this. Keep us posted with what Tech support says. AMP has great customer service, so I'm sure they will get you taken care of quickly.

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For those tracking this thread...I installed my steps this past weekend. They work perfectly, no rework required. Prior to operating them I did what the instructions and another member said which is stand on the steps and bounce once or twice to set the linkages. AMP Research has improved their design from the last set I had which was on a truck I sold for 8 years. When I sold it they were still working great.

In my opinion they are definitely worth the money.

12TS

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In case anyone was wondering, I got the steps working on my second attempt. I did in fact bounce on them the first time around, to no avail. For some reason, using the drilling template provided, the rear brackets did not sit flush to the mounting location on the body. So I had to drill the holes substantially larger on the pinch weld to get the brackets flush (the fronts were fine?). Anyhow, threw the rivets in there and called 'er good. Still have to hook up the LED's, but that'll have to wait until I get back from the bush.

As said above, they are pricey but seem to be great quality. And Amp's customer is top notch as well.

Cheers.

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer to here about the troubles with AMP. I almost went with those steps. I took the cheap(er) route and with the Bestop Powerboards. Pain to install the wiring on my 2013 but they work great and don't contact the body.

Glad to here AMP worked with you.

I love the powerfolding steps. My wife at 5'2" even more so to strap the kids in their
seats.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer to here about the troubles with AMP. I almost went with those steps. I took the cheap(er) route and with the Bestop Powerboards. Pain to install the wiring on my 2013 but they work great and don't contact the body.

Glad to here AMP worked with you.

I love the powerfolding steps. My wife at 5'2" even more so to strap the kids in their
seats.

They're pretty sweet I gotta say. Might not have had the issues if I had to pay to have them installed, but oh well. Still getting used to having steps again, I catch myself about to jump up everytime I open the door, lol. Glad you're likin your Bestops, I went back and fourth between them both before pulling the trigger on the Amps.

How you liking your 2013? i'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous, lol.