Another HID question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S.falcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, new to the forum, just picked up a 2012 mineral gray sport crew cab this past Saturday. The first mod I want to do is HIDs in my low beams and fogs (I have quad headlights). I have no clue about HIDs so I want to make the install as painless as possible and will order my kit from retrosolutions bc I've heard nothing but good things. I just wanted to know if I have to have projectors to run HIDs or can I use my stock headlamp assembly? And also do retrosolutions kits eliminate error codes and the issue of being able to run headlights on the "auto lamp" setting? Thanks for the help in advance, this forum is great! Been reading for a few days now, but was still confused on these issues.

OP
OP
S

S.falcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also forgot to ask.. Would I need bulb capping?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. 0212353(JJ, or Jeremy) can answer all your questions, but yes you can run hid's without projectors, but it is much better with projectors. I have a set of projectors with the retrosolutions kit from JJ (Retro shop) and i have no codes or errors with them.

I think the bulb capping would be for the fogs, but that is another question that Jeremy could answer for sure.

OP
OP
S

S.falcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the Help.. Hopefully JJ will chime in also

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Hey guys, new to the forum, just picked up a 2012 mineral gray sport crew cab this past Saturday. The first mod I want to do is HIDs in my low beams and fogs (I have quad headlights). I have no clue about HIDs so I want to make the install as painless as possible and will order my kit from retrosolutions bc I've heard nothing but good things. I just wanted to know if I have to have projectors to run HIDs or can I use my stock headlamp assembly? And also do retrosolutions kits eliminate error codes and the issue of being able to run headlights on the "auto lamp" setting? Thanks for the help in advance, this forum is great! Been reading for a few days now, but was still confused on these issues.

First off, when you order - don't forget to use coupon code "JJ" to get 10% off!

Now, for the install - its not bad. A run to the battery, couple grounds, plug the rest in. They fix the error codes, easy stuff. I dont' recommend using auto lamp though.........it seems to muck stuff up.

Projectors are the BEST for HIDs, but as mentioned - not required. They would give you a much wider beam of light, and would focus the light where it is needed. Its not the cheapest mod to do, but will always be my first.

Also forgot to ask.. Would I need bulb capping?

For the fogs, it is best.

Bikenut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed the Retro solutions 55W digital kit in my low beam. the only issue I had was my fault: On the passenger side, I plugged the harness from the battery (via relay) into the ballast the wrong way. I didn't notice you could plug it in either way for polarity. Once I corrected that, they have been Fantastic!
2. You do NOT need to remove your fender liner to get to the white retention clip for the back of the headlight, there is a small access port in the fender liner.
3. I started out not using the Auto lights but found that to be a PITA since I'm so used to having Auto lights. Recently, I just turned the Auto light back on and have had no issues so far. BUT- I did disable the area lighting function in EVIC so that they don't light when I unlock the truck before it's running.
4. Some people will say you don't need to remove the grill to do this job, I say it's easy enough to do so and helps to avoid scratches and gives you easy access to run the wire harness cleanly. I just zip tied the harness to an existing harness that runs across the support.
5. I installed the ballasts right above the headlight housings on that black support that has a nice flat surface using double sided tape and then zip tied them for assurance.
6. I ordered the 5000K bulbs (You do not need the caps in the low beams, they're already shrouded. the 5000K bulb is NOT the same color as a stock light. It is whiter with a hint of blue. I love the color and was told that 5000K puts out the most light. Its a personal choice, but that's definitely my recommendation.
7. Im not going with projectors any time soon, but I will say the HIDs seem to throw alot more scattered light up and to the sides. I have adjusted my lights 3 times and believe I have them well adjusted at this time. - Nobody has flashed me. Maybe it's just so much light that I think it's going everywhere but the main focus is very nice.

Bikenut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OH ya, There is a small hole on top of the fender that gives you access to the headlight adjuster. I dont recall the size, but it is one of those 'star type' bits. The damn hole in the fender is kinda small so I had to find the right tool long enough to reach the adjuster because a socket type will not fit through the hole.

Using the relay style harness they sent with the kit is the right way to go so as not to pull power to the ballasts directly off the stock harness. The power comes from the battery to the ballasts via the relay and the stock drivers side headlight power plug is just a trigger. That avoids any issues with codes. the passenger side stock headlight plug should be protected with dialectic grease and capped off. I did not use dialectic in all the plugs as they suggested because they are triple sealed and I don't drive in salty or muddy climate. I should have anyway though.

You will need to drill holes in the round removeable dust covers on the back of the headlight housing to be able to mount the rubber grommet that is attached to the HID bulb. You can use a hole saw if you get the right size but I just used a small hole saw and then used a dremel with a barrel sander bit to work the hole out to the perfect size for the grommet. for good measure, I put a bead of silicon around the edge of the grommet to really seal it.

OP
OP
S

S.falcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the awesome help.. I've been In touch with JJ.. Definitely getting low and fogs in the 5000k, not sure if I want 35 or 55 watt for the low beams yet.. And I will prob end up biting the bullet and having my headlights retrofitted with projectors... I tinted my taillights and 3rd brake light so I'd like the headlights to look something like that

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Get the 55 watt for your headlights

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine