Auto Headlights and HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Looking for any feedback on whether or not using the auto headlights feature with aftermarket Morimoto HIDs is an issue? I've used it from time to time but will it cause failure if using it all the time? I'm concerned that it will either prematurely burn out the bulbs or cause ballast issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The hid,s do not turn off when high beams are on

OP
OP
ms8091

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I have the dual lights, so it's all in one bulb.

OP
OP
ms8091

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Good to know. Do you leave the approach lighting turned on and the delayed off lighting on as well? I've read on older posts that these setting and the quick on and off is bad for it but nothing current. Maybe it's no longer an issue due to new technology. Just curious. Thanks.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you should be concerned about is what's called a hot restrike, depending on the system you have. For that reason I also turn my auto light feature off with my HIDs. Well, that and how ridiculously long they stay on in the daylight before they turn themselves off.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My headlights are always in the Auto mode and I run Morimoto HID bulbs and ballasts. No issues at all.

OP
OP
ms8091

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
What you should be concerned about is what's called a hot restrike, depending on the system you have. For that reason I also turn my auto light feature off with my HIDs. Well, that and how ridiculously long they stay on in the daylight before they turn themselves off.

I assume a hot restrike is when it rapid on/off/on cycle. I run the Morimoto system that Jeremy sells. How do I know of this is an issue? I think my Ram's auto lights are sensitive to begin with. Is there a way to turn the sensitivity down?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I assume a hot restrike is when it rapid on/off/on cycle. I run the Morimoto system that Jeremy sells. How do I know of this is an issue? I think my Ram's auto lights are sensitive to begin with. Is there a way to turn the sensitivity down?

No you cant adjust the sensitivity, but for what its worth ive never had them cycle on/off. They've always turned on and stayed on.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for any feedback on whether or not using the auto headlights feature with aftermarket Morimoto HIDs is an issue? I've used it from time to time but will it cause failure if using it all the time? I'm concerned that it will either prematurely burn out the bulbs or cause ballast issues.

I've had hid's in my 2012 for quite a while now, and never move my dial out of the automatic position. Never had a problem, fwiw.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ms8091

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I appreciate the feedback. Glad it isn't an issue. Thanks.