aux reverse/work light recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to add some lights under the rear bumper. these will be wired to a switch in the cab (switch has already been added) but they will be used as aux/additional backup lights and work lights when towing the boat. I fish a lot of tournaments and prepping the boat in the dark at 5am is the norm (this takes about 10 minutes to prep and launch). HID are pretty much out due to the warmup time. I want more of a flood beam than spot/driving beam. I am looking to fill about 100 feet behind the vehicle with a bright usable beam. I'd like to have 2 lights and keep the cost around $200 or less. I have considered a single 10" led light bar but at $300-$400 its hard to justify. VisionX sells 100w halogen for $27 ea and rigid industries has the original dually led for $180 (amazon). I like the low current draw and long life of led but on the other hand these are reverse lights that will be used less than 30 minutes per week total. Will 2 x 100w halogens be hard on the trucks alt/batt or is it a cakewalk? I have seen other trucks with 6-10 driving/fog/aux lights in addition to all the factory lights but they never state if they have upgrade alternators and batteries. If that would be required then the LEDs make more sense. I won't be adding more lights than this in the future either, I do zero off-roading, fishing is my only need. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I dont think under the bumper is the best place for submersion reasons.

for boat prep/lanching/ cleaning etc
I used to have something like hella 500 lights, with a bracket that I could put the into the back stake pockets on the bed rail. with a cig lighter plug (or clipped to the battery)

you buy those cargo loops with the rubber ends that go into the stake holes, replace the loop with a bolt the same size and that fits into the mounting part of the light.

it is not hard wired and temporary, but works great for extra light behind the truck (or even in the bed)

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
look into white knight lighting.

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
fat1

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think under the bumper is the best place for submersion reasons.

I was under the impression most off-road lights were waterproof but that the dually's certainly were waterproof. It is a valid point, My tires never touch the water....steep ramps in the mountain state here but it happen accidentally soare you referring to the heat of the halogen into the cold water or just general waterproof capabilities? Please advise.

What raffle?

OP
OP
fat1

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
look into white knight lighting.

I considered the white knight, they have the switch on-board as well which is nice. If I go that route I would cut the wire harness off and wire to the switch I have in the cab, I don't like pass-throughs on the trailer harness, more stress on the connections and I hate troubleshooting trailer lights.

So I'm gathering the halogen current draw issue isn't really an issue I should be concerned with?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Its not like its on all the time just adding a couple lights I don't think will affect it much

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
yea, sorry. I didnt read into detail the items you were looking at. the rigid product probably are to some point waterproof.

I deal with submersion in salt water two to four times a week. nothing seams to hold up. you drop the boat, the salt water sits on (and in) the lights all day (10-12 hrs) until you return to the dock and wash the truck and boat.

but I havent tried those high dollar items you listed.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran a set of cheap Autozone foglights mounted on the sides of my hitch. They worked wonderfully for 3+ years.

I ran the $20 specials incase I backed them into a rock or drug them while wheeling. Just replace em.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I just got a couple ten inch led strips for extra reverse lighting, not exactly sure how I'm going to mount them or if they will even help but they were dirt cheap so we'll see
I'm in the same boat hooking up a trailer late a night or early morning so even a little bit of extra light about the hitch receiver would be nice

OP
OP
fat1

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of mounting them on the receiver bracket as well. Got any pics? Thanks

OP
OP
fat1

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I'm not sure about the led strips either. I needed to see behind the boat as wel for when backing down over the break to the launch ramps so I'm leaning towards flood lights

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a 1/4" plate 90° bend, bolted it solid to the hitch mount (similar location) and then bolted the light to the bracket.

I've always gone a touch on the overkill side.

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hey fat, just wondering if you found a set of lights your gonna use. I'm planning on the same thing. Just need em for the boat and other trailers.

Tapatalk'in

OP
OP
fat1

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm going to go with advmonster.com model 30s. Relatively cheap for led. I'm going to order the HD mount with it for $10 and I'll use marine grade silicon on the rubber grommet for the wires as well as around the lens housing. I may also order a set of clear lens protectors. Being 2" in size they will be less noticeable than the rigids. They are also round. Total will be about $150. You can get the original dually's for $185 on amazon so...not really saving any money and rigids are definitely better quality. I have a few weeks to decide still. I just like the light pattern a little better on them than the rigids.