Back window exploded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The forces inside that piece of tempered glass are amazing. The outer surface is force cooled during manufacturing resulting in >10,000 PSI of compression against the center portion of the glass. The forces stay balanced until there is a crack, nick or fracture that causes and imbalance in the compressive force against the core. All of that energy is released, breaking nearly the entire sheet simultaneously resulting in those little pieces of glass and sometimes a loud bang.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well after further review the only thing I can think of is I must have thrown a rock while I was mowing and it must have chipped it and then when I opened and shut the door it must have exploded it, it had to have been an impressive shot though to go from where I was mowing and to pass my headache rack and hit it just right even though I don't have any other dings anywhere but that's all I can think of
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the actual cause yet, but what you just described is the air pressure going "over-pressure" inside the truck cab. There are two vents on the back cab wall to prevent this from happening, if they are stuck shut or otherwise obstructed, this is the end result.

For anyone wishing to avoid this, keep the area behind the rear seat free of obstruction (or at the very least keep the vents clear).

Apparently, there is a revised part for the vent too. If you find they are stuck shut, I'll find the thread where the new part is discussed and post it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some ******* with a Pellet gun was trying to snipe your ass.

You have any punk kids or neighbor beefs going on? Glass sometimes "kicks back" outward when fired on from externally.

I would really search the interior for a pellet, BB or small arms round.

Anyone shooting or hunting off in the distance? Could have been an accidental strike, if you are out in the country. Inner city, random rounds fall miles away and hit all sorts of things. Especially on New Years, 4th of July etc. when dumb ***** fire all sorts of things randomly into the air.

My two cents. But, I am a paranoid retired cop. I've responded to many plate glass windows hit by birds as well, where people swear someone had shot at their place. But, it would be obvious as the impact required to shatter a auto / safety glass window is much higher than a simple single pane older residential window.

I would look around.

That would be my guess too. I had that happen in a truck once. After digging around in the back seat I found a BB.