Backflip MX4 or Extang Solid Fold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi!
I am in the process to order a solid folding tonneau cover for my RAM 1500 from TonneauFactoryOutlet.
The 2 options i found would be:
BackFlip MX4 (tailgate closes while cover closed, 4 x folding)
Extang Solid Fold (3 x folding, cheaper)

I want a sturdy hard folding cover who works and is lockable and leaves the stake holes free.

I know that a rolling/folding cover would be much more comfortable,
but my 5.7 HEMI will get a LPG gas system and the 100L tank will sit right where the cover folds/rolls up so this will be not a option.

Does somebody has first hand experience?

Thanks so much!

Chris

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only comment on the mx4, which I have had for a couple of months now and so far really like it.

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi!
I am in the process to order a solid folding tonneau cover for my RAM 1500 from TonneauFactoryOutlet.

Does somebody has first hand experience?

Thanks so much!

Chris

I have the Extang solid fold.....been on a '12, '13, and now on my '16....easy to operate. Love it.:)

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ive had both. they both have their pro's and cons. the solid fold was nice. very sturdy, you can walk on it no problem. whole cover removes and re-installs super fast for complete access to the bed if needed. its not as water tight as the back flip but overall not bad (a good seal near the cab would help this). the extang sits on top of the bed rails so it will completely cover the stake pockets. the back flip sits in the bed rails so you can still access the stake pockets. it can also be a bit annoying to open i've found since you have to release the latch at almost every fold, but the fact that the cover folds up against the back window allows you to have a tool box accessible. something thats not possible with the solid fold. that was the selling point for me otherwise i probably would have bought another solid fold.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you considered the Undercover Flex? I've been very happy with mine since installing.

OP
OP
CostaRam

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks my friends!
I ordered the Bakflip MX4 as it fit's my needs (stake pockets free and tailgate can be opened/closed without opening the cover)
As soon it arrived in Costa Rica i will write a report!
Chris