Balance beads in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

so i recently got new rims/ tires that came pre-mounted and balanced with balance beads. They are TOYO Open County R/T 33's on 20x12 Rockstar 3's The first few days i drove around the city with them (all under 40 mph) and they road great very very smooth and very quite (the weather was in the 50s-60s during this time). Recently the weather has dropped into the 20's.
I started my truck up and drove it down a state road at 60 mph and it road like a smooth champ. I was very impressed.
I get off at my road which is a 30mph zone and all of a sudden the wheels are very bouncy and very loud. It sounded like my tire were all flat (the sound where you get a synchronized thump with every rotation). My tire pressure had dropped into the low 30's which i am hoping is only related to the sudden drop in cold air (all 4 tires dropped in pressure). So i filled my tires up to 42 PSI (this is what i saw was best to do) and i drive and i still have the thumbing.
So my question is.... is this normal for balance beads? Do i need to get them rebalanced? Should i try and get it up to highway speeds and see if it fixes it again? Do i just need to get more miles on the tires? I am new to balance beads so not quite sure what to expect.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have any personal experience with balance beads, but I'd always heard they were for balancing bigger (37"+) aggressive tires. I have heard that moisture inside the tire can cause them to freeze together in low temp conditions. Not sure that's what's going on here since you drove it a bit and then the problem started. I'd take it to a shop and have them take a quick look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know anything about balance beads. Just have them removed and the tires properly balanced with weights and it won't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does happen, the moisture in the tires combined with the beads can cause them to freeze together and cause problems.