Bald(ish) Duratracs vs New SRA's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

613RAMSPORT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up my 17 Sport a few months back and as we close in on winter IDEALY I get myself a set of new ko2's

If money is tight, I have an option of getting some bald(ish) Duratracs (8/32 tread left) or I can just run the factory tires

Which would you guys rather run in the cold/snow/ice. set of new SRA's or old Duratracs

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem with Duratracs is the siping does not run all the way through the lugs so when they wear down the siping is gone and they tend to handle more like a mud tire. IMO it would be preferable to stick with new SRA's over a worn set of Duratracs.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go get your factory tires siped and run them. Definitely don't get worn out tires to run in winter. Siping will help you a ton. I'll be getting my stock tires siped and running them this winter on my 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Between the two, stick with the sra.

OP
OP

613RAMSPORT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input everyone. This is what I needed to hear!

Ideally i'll be buying the KO2's, but when a buddy offered me the Duratracs for $50 I was pretty tempted to run them this winter.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd never buy used tires but I wouldn't call 8/32 baldish. Not familiar with that tire, but new would be 10-12/32 and bald is 2/32, so at worst they still have about 50%.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for $50 I would get the duratracs and have then re-sipped and run them ONLY if you run up allot of miles and have really bad winters.

Ran the stock RSA's this past winter and they surprised me honestly in the deep fluffy stuff.

In the wet/packable stuff they are not that good, ok at best honestly (most street/highway tires are).

Over all I had no issues the fist winter on the RSA's

OP
OP

613RAMSPORT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for $50 I would get the duratracs and have then re-sipped and run them ONLY if you run up allot of miles and have really bad winters.

Ran the stock RSA's this past winter and they surprised me honestly in the deep fluffy stuff.

In the wet/packable stuff they are not that good, ok at best honestly (most street/highway tires are).

Over all I had no issues the fist winter on the RSA's

Thanks for the insight! seeing as your from Quebec I can trust you evaluation in the snow/our terrible winters lol

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a cheap used set of Nitto G2's on craiglist once. Looked legit, even asked tire shop about them. Said they looked used, but ok. I couldnt wait to get them replaced. I'll never buy used tires again. Not worth it to me.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SRA's are actually quite good in the snow so much so it is weird since they suck so bad in the rain

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't love the way the SRA's look but they actually are a decent performing tire IMO. I am replacing the ones on our Jeep this Friday but managed to get 50,000 miles out of them. I thought they did pretty well in the winter too, even after they got some miles on them I had no complaints with their performance last winter. I am expecting the same for my new Ram this winter.