BED CAP + Ladder rack??? anyone have this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so i have an A.R.E cap, and looking for more storage for fishing gear when we go to the beach, so was considering something like a ladder rack over the cap.

has anyone done this before on their ram?

i considered the roof racks and basket option, but i don't love the way they look and price wise it gets up there.

thanks in advance,

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i have an A.R.E cap, and looking for more storage for fishing gear when we go to the beach, so was considering something like a ladder rack over the cap.

has anyone done this before on their ram?

i considered the roof racks and basket option, but i don't love the way they look and price wise it gets up there.

thanks in advance,

Did you ever come up with something? Just curious I have an ARE cap and want to do the same thing. Options are limited with the 5' 7 bed. As far as racks that mount to the bed as opposed to the roof of the cap all I have found
  • Hauler Rack - a dealer I spoke with said they did not like the design of the hauler rack and thought its mounting points were weak. I found some similar complaints on contractor talk
  • System One - I cant seem to find any pics of one installed on a fiberglass rack Im worried the fit will have way to much clearnence
  • Kargo Master - looks decent but nothing for my bed length

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did this on a truck back in the 90's. It was a Leer cap and a standard ladder/contractor's rack. The rack went on first. It fit into the stake pockets and had a 90 degree flat flange that fit over the top of the bed sides, sort of like this:

||
||
||
||_____
| |
| |

The cap slid in over the horizontal surface of rack mounting post and flange. A double layer of foam tap was added to the bottom of the cap.

The rack stuck out past the sides of the truck a bit but not more than a couple of inches or so.
The

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nope, wasn't ugly at all. It was painted and did exactly what was needed with no extra parts or pieces.

I think some rack makers still do it exactly the same way.

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope, wasn't ugly at all. It was painted and did exactly what was needed with no extra parts or pieces.

I think some rack makers still do it exactly the same way.

Several do but just not for the shortest short bed

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why not add roof rails to the cap and get a basket.

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not add roof rails to the cap and get a basket.

I think best case its rated for about 300 pounds, I rarely haul more than a couple ladders. But occasionally I will use it as a work platform or haul some heavy steel plus I trust steel more than fiberlass. I have all the fab tools needed to build one but I would rather just buy one.

Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
I had the system one heavy duty racks on two of my rams. I recently put a leer 100rcc on my 13 outdoorsman. I have worked with it for a 3 weeks or so and really lovi ng the cap. I will be build a low profile slide and some narrow shelves accessable through the tool boxes. My only regret was the ladder racks, I am regurally moving material from job to job, or lumber yard to jobsite. So I called John from system one. He was really helpful, could have tried to sell me new racks, or the bedrail extension plates and new uprigjts. But no, he helped me figure out how to keep most of my parts.
Spent like 20 minutes on phone on 2 occasions, ordered 3 custom length lo profile tslot cross bars today, Shipped same day. Awesome service.

So here is the plan.

I am going to bolt two cross bars through roof of the fiberglass cap. Using 1" spacer, probable white pvc azek painted flat black. I am using 3m automotive adhesive tape to hold blocks in place while i drill and toseal block to cap, then inserting 2.5" hex head bolts into t slot under cross bar, though azek block and through cap ;and we used with wide washers and lock nots. Two bolts per attachment point. 4 total attachment points. So in total 8 bolts.
Existing side beams will bolt to two cap mounted cross bars, then two more cross bars, one over truck cab, and one with wind fairing on front of rack.

Beams are 11' long.

Couple points to consider.
1. Not sure what load rating on leer 100rcx cap is, but I will push the limits with this.

2. Just had truck and cap painted factory true blue pearl, pbu. Got rid of old man two tone paint. Everytbing is deep dark blue, except for chrome clad 20"s that came off my 03 slt. So here is the question. I want to clean up aluminum, prime with etching primer and pint racks flat black.
Any thoughtz?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I dont have racks on tbis cap but did on all my others, you can put alot of weight up there..lol

my 06 Z71 with a ATC, these racks pop on and off quick and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_20130130_093414_186.jpg
    IMG_20130130_093414_186.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i never got around to getting something for my truck, but this is what i was after
image.aspx

Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
So I have some corrections, not hex head bolts, but carriage bolts in t slots. I used a wire wheel on my drill and cleaned aluminum racks. Primed with etching primer and two coats of flat black wheel paint. Racks look awesome. New cross bars coming in tomorrow, so prime and paint those then on to assemble on cap. Two things concern me.
1. Lining up cross bar bolts square to truck.

2. Putting this on without scratching my new paint....
Gonna need a helper.

Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
Racks our on. Worked out well. One man install was a little tedious. If I had to do it again, I would use 1.5" tall spacers, as is my shark fin is at risk. I generally do not put material over it anyway as it kills reception. I ran side beams a little long on back end as they made too much noise out past windshield, it also makes sure no material loads scrap on top of cap. I also would do better job lining up support locks and through drill locations to get better placement on thicker fiberglass in cap roof. Overall I am happy with project. They are functional and look good, not backyard homemade looking at all.