Bed Drains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently got my '14 and hadn't thought about bed drains until this weekend when I noticed a goodly amount of water puddled in the bed against the cab. I thought about clogged drains like I used to have in my '90 Dakota. That truck would puddle like crazy but it was a DD so I had fun with the sloshing around until it drained out. MY '01 Dakota had a much better drain system that rarely clogged in 16 years. This truck will be sitting for extended periods and I am worrying about potential rust and corrosion. Since the owners manual is a large collection of words with nearly no information I couldn't find anything on drains. I looked in the bed and "assume" there are slits in the forward part of the bed. However the truck has a spray on liner, factory installed if I remember reading the build sheet correctly, and any evidence of openings are effectively covered up. I hate to just drill holes. I'd rather find the proper location and try and open the slits/holes up with some persuasion.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 has one drain centred in the bed, right against the cab wall.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My factory spray in liner has big drains in the front corners

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After seeing these posts I got ambitious and looked. There are in fact a pair of slits in the corners. They were jammed with stuff. The one on the passengers side is fairly wide but the drivers side is terribly narrow and slit like. I will spend some time trying to find a good way to coax them wider without scratching and scraping the finish.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If your really worried about it and it will be sitting a lot park the front tires on some blocks, the water will run out the back. Drilling, prying, or any other procedure that might get down to bare metal will cause rust.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree about the drilling. I'm not going to block the front up since the truck will be used periodically and in the winter possibly almost daily. I am thinking only about prying with something non metallic if possible. And I may even find a spray on product to "touch up" after I pry.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree about the drilling. I'm not going to block the front up since the truck will be used periodically and in the winter possibly almost daily. I am thinking only about prying with something non metallic if possible. And I may even find a spray on product to "touch up" after I pry.
Or get yourself a tonneau cover

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 15 with the factory spray in liner has 3 drains. One in each front corner and one in the center at the front. They're all a little narrow but one was really bad. Since the spray in liner is pretty tough, I just stuck a screw driver in the slot and pried it open a little wider. Worked like a charm. You pretty much don't have to worry about hurting the factory spray in liner. I've hit mine with shovels and pitch forks as well as drug all sorts of things across it and I have no lasting marks at all.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i second the tonneau cover option.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually took the advice of prying with a screwdriver. I can see the ground through them now! There was quite a bit of accumulated junk in them!

Thanks for all the input!

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 with spray in liner wouldn't drain. All pickup beds have drains so went searching. Couldn't locate visually from inside bed. Crawled underneath and found center slot drain about 3/8" x 1.25".
PERFECT masking tape was never removed after spraying. Went back up top and used a tapered plastic panel tool to poke through and it worked.
Did not find corner drains but will look again.
Inspected rest of box and found masking tape in the right rear top rail stake pocket.
Have pics. I will try to post them up.