Bed rugs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking into purchasing a bed rug for my 2016 sport. They do look extremely nice but what I am wondering is do they get mold under the bed rug and they start to smell from what I've heard that is a problem with them once they get wet. It may be true with the older ones I don't know. I do have a Tonnele cover I can see this being a problem because with the Tonnele cover it will never dry out.

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've never noticed any issues with mine. I have a tonneau now so it doesn't really get wet anymore. But, I had it in for a few months before that and it got rained on regularly. I can't see much water getting under because of how well it covers.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even (or especially) with a tonneau cover there will be more than enough ventilation to keep a bed rug dry. I wouldn't worry.

OP
OP
F

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy works for Ziebart he said a lot of people have came in complaining of that problem of them smelling. Then they went with the spray in liner.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had mine under a tonneau for about 3 years (now under a full topper)... no mold. Occasionally I had to leave the tailgate down to get it to to dry completely, especially at the tailgate seal after going through the car wash.

14blackouthemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one, I also leave my cover off on a nice sunny day every now and then to air out any moisture. I have no mold.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a BedRug in my last truck for over 5 years and use to take it to self service car wash to clean in the bed with their high pressure hose a number of times and never had issues with mold. I have a feeling even if the conditions were right for mold growth the closed cell foam membrane used as a base would not support mold growth.

I think BedRug was the best investment I have made in both my trucks.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I forgot to add the underlying foam membrane is impervious to water and the fabric of the BedRug is spun plastic (like astro turf but much nicer) which wouldn't be a good medium for mold.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had mine over 3 years and no smell and no mold. Covered with a fiberglass tonneau cover. Lots of rain, no car washes. Hand wash once a week.
Jay

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
No issues for me either. On old truck for 4 years and now this truck for about 2 months

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the BedRug web site--

"The BedRug Mat material is fade and UV resistant. Made of foam similar to that used in life jackets, it doesn't absorb water and will not mold or mildew. Just clean it with a hose, power washer or vacuum and your BedRug Mat is good as new."

OP
OP
F

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your help on this.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have been considering one of these, but I have a few other questions if you guys do not mind. I have a 3500 DRW:

1. The DRW beds are slightly different and my OEM Ram plastic liner does not fit for crap, it does not lay flat.

2. How would it hold up with sliding or pushing heavy pallets, like pellet fuel using a fork truck?

3. How well do they fit around the tie down points in the bed, also I have the fiver / gooseneck pkg are they or can they be fit around these?

thanks

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
cptwing - When I was researching the BedTred/BedRug liners I found some photos of a RAM truck with the circles cut out for the 5th wheel prep. Looked easy enough. The problem is the base of the tailgate opening is 3" narrower than a SRW bed. That's probably why your factory liner won't sit flat. I called BedRug and they said the difference was in the placement of the bed reinforcement but that's not really true. If you look at the vertical support, the DRW bed has an obviously beveled shape to it. I had no desire to cut up a brand new liner and essentially loose the warranty because they have no desire to provide a suitable product for our trucks. The Linex place in Fall River got my $$.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been considering one of these, but I have a few other questions if you guys do not mind. I have a 3500 DRW:

1. The DRW beds are slightly different and my OEM Ram plastic liner does not fit for crap, it does not lay flat.

2. How would it hold up with sliding or pushing heavy pallets, like pellet fuel using a fork truck?

3. How well do they fit around the tie down points in the bed, also I have the fiver / gooseneck pkg are they or can they be fit around these?

thanks

Talk to Morrie from https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/ . He is a vendor here. good chance he would be able to give you an answer to your fit question.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

thanks

I can't help you with the dually bed shape part. There are no holes cut in them for the tie downs, so how well they fit comes down to how good of a job you do with a utility knife. I think my back ones look a little better than the fronts. I would expect the same holds true for fitting around the hitch.

I think you might have trouble sliding a lot of weight on it. I don't think you would damage it because they're pretty tough. But, being carpet, stuff does not slide on it well. If it's really heavy, you might start pulling it off the Velcro.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
mine smells like cat **** after washing it.

it was a little dirty but not smelly, so I washed it..

..and that's what I get for washing it and putting it back in the truck while it was still damp/holding water, and it's enclosed in a topper....ugh

yeah that foam will hold water if yer standing on it while pressure washing it! doh! I even pulled it back out, chucked it in my garage for a few weeks and it was still holding some water!

guess I will try again and wait till it's totally dry beore putting it back in.

on a side note, mine was made in 05 for a 02 and up....well, they fit in these new truck just fine since the bed interior hasn't changed....even the tailgate pattern is identical.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love mine - install it correctly so water cannot get under it. And do not remove it. Go get some industrial velcro to seal it up a little better if you want.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

..and that's what I get for washing it and putting it back in the truck while it was still damp/holding water, and it's enclosed in a topper....ugh

yeah that foam will hold water if yer standing on it while pressure washing it! doh! I even pulled it back out, chucked it in my garage for a few weeks and it was still holding some water!

on a side note, mine was made in 05 for a 02 and up....well, they fit in these new truck just fine since the bed interior hasn't changed....even the tailgate pattern is identical.

Maybe they have made improvements in the backing since 2005. All I can tell you is the one I bought in 2008 and the one I have in current truck bought in 2014 never had an issue with smell after washing. I don't take it out to wash, just pull into the carwash stall and clean it with the high pressure wand. Then just let it air dry for 2 or three hours.

Big_W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8

It could be a change in the materials/manufacturing...

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but do you or your neighbors have a cat?? [emoji75][emoji75]

I had a bedrug in my 2014 Laramie and it was uncovered (open to the elements, taken through the car wash, etc...) the entire time.

I installed it 3 days after buying the truck and it was in such great shape when I traded in the truck 2 yrs later that my neighbor was thrilled to take it off my hands...

In all that time there was no smell, no major damage (although I mostly hauled garbage, leaves and construction materials).

I just took delivery of a 2017 Big Horn and, in addition to a new bedrug, I have a hard cover so hopefully this isn't 'just what happens' when they are covered when wet and not able to fully air dry...

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro