Behind Grill Light Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i will most likely change the top lights to 10" bars.

Attachments

• 20160128_065606.jpg
    20160128_065606.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20160124_135118_HDR.jpg
    20160124_135118_HDR.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 137

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
10" bars are perfectly sized to not get blocked by anything.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yes. Shutters would have to be removed, which opens another can of worms...

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yes. Shutters would have to be removed, which opens another can of worms...
I've been interested in installing lights where the shutters are....thought removing them would run into a problem....any info on this can of worms?

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my setup, the 4 pods might be switched out for a pair of 7" bars fairly soon, been toying with that idea for a little while now.
LUQSo4w.jpg
LkTMINV.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Couldn't you just mount some 4" pods and leave the shudder vents?
c9403cd96ea39f37bc29ae9d62e669e6.jpg

IMO

Maybe you could make some pods fit at the deepest part of the space. The Rigid lights I have, are pretty tight on the front edge to the honeycomb grill, and I actually had to remove the ducting from the back of the grill.

I'm thinking if you left the vents in place, they would block too much light regardless.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe you could make some pods fit at the deepest part of the space. The Rigid lights I have, are pretty tight on the front edge to the honeycomb grill, and I actually had to remove the ducting from the back of the grill.

I'm thinking if you left the vents in place, they would block too much light regardless.

I was under the impression that this was a mod for "looks"? It would seem to me that if someone wanted the most out of their lights, they would mount the lights on the exterior.

IMO

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
lol.. I have all kinds of light output. The honeycomb grill actually blocks very little light. Best part is the lights are protected from thieves/vandals.

Just high beams for comparison.

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's a little impressive.

Though I think your high beams are lacking for some reason... Mine work a lot better that that lol. Maybe it's just the camera.

IMO

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It may be a little of the camera, but it was raining and nothing for the light to reflect off, (no snow, no leaves on the trees, everything the same shade of yuck-brown). Absolutely the worse "seeing" conditions. Also that road is way wider than you might think, probably 15' from the shoulder to the brush...

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was under the impression that this was a mod for "looks"? It would seem to me that if someone wanted the most out of their lights, they would mount the lights on the exterior.

IMO
I'm not sure what "look" would be sought after. I find the purpose of mounting them behind the grill is to prevent them from being stolen off the truck. Also don't need to invest in some piece of fabbed up square tubing hanging off my toe hooks.

In reality though, looking at my grill with active shudders I just see the grill filtering quite bit of light. Probably would work best with the honeycomb grill.

Dstang24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Active shutters

Just an fyi, I've effectively bypassed the active shutters by marking where the open and closed position are. It's been a while, but one of the extremes on the little actuator is reached at the end of its range, the other is reached by the shutters being fully closed (or open, can't remember). I put a clamp on the actuator right at the extreme that the shutters stop the actuator from spinning.

After pulling the shutters, I left (reconnected) the actuator connected and zip tied behind the grille. The shutters are gone, but the actuator is still in there, fooled to think the shutters still operate. I don't get any error codes.

Hope this helps!

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
How much room is there between the shutters and the grill? Anybody happen to have a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro