Best way to cut the fuel fill tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
About to install an RDS combo toolbox/fuel tank with the gravity fill and was wondering the best way to cut the fuel fill tube with out getting shavings and junk in the fuel tank. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a rubber part between the fill tube and tank. That is where id add the T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
Full disclosure, I haven't really looked to see what I'm dealing with under there yet. "Dirt" driveway is full of poky thorny grass stickers and haven't had a chance to crawl under while on concrete.

Didn't know about any rubber parts. Assumed all metal based on pictures of instal kit T fitting.

Don't remember which of my past trucks but was working on something and wanted to remove the fill tube and it was a pain and assumed this one would be as well but may be something I have to do.

OP
OP
F

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
Took a look under there and the fill tube runs mostly horizontal for a decent stretch and I think I can use my multi tool to cut out the needed section and reach in to clean/brush out maybe even vacuum anything that remains in the tube with out worrying about anything falling further down the line and into the tank.

Thinking Fein Multi Tool over a recip saw for more control in a tight space. Lots of other tubes and wires in the area I sure don't want to nick.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try to get a picture of mine tonight, but if you plan on cutting the metal fill tube I'd remove the entire piece and cut it so you can be sure none of the metal particles make it to your fuel system.

OP
OP
F

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
Appreciate that if your able to get a picture

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you are talking about cutting the steel part of the filler take it off the truck. I am pretty sure there can be gas fumes in it and there are sparks from cutting steel even with a sawzall or multi tool. Also, never use a vacuum to clean out a gas tank or even to clean off the top of the tank where the locking ring for the fuel pump goes. There are sparks inside the electric motor on a vacuum and it will ignite the fumes. I turned an old canister vacuum into a rocket heater once and was lucky that's all that happened. People have died using wet vacs to try to vacuum gas out of tank also.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
f2231890a1ab2dae3d37054fffc98bb6.jpg2093534782096a362e93dbc87cdfb700.jpg7810cb25be684b7f11706a016f00e1b3.jpg

Rubber from the fill tube to the tank. The rubber starts just above the truck frame. I'd remove this and follow the directions for how much to cut out, clamp in the T and attach the gravity feed fuel line then reinstall.

As stated before, if you are cutting the metal fill tube remove it completely.

OP
OP
F

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
If you are talking about cutting the steel part of the filler take it off the truck. I am pretty sure there can be gas fumes in it and there are sparks from cutting steel even with a sawzall or multi tool. Also, never use a vacuum to clean out a gas tank or even to clean off the top of the tank where the locking ring for the fuel pump goes. There are sparks inside the electric motor on a vacuum and it will ignite the fumes. I turned an old canister vacuum into a rocket heater once and was lucky that's all that happened. People have died using wet vacs to try to vacuum gas out of tank also.

It's all good if you happen to have access to an intrinsically safe vacuum. (Which I actually do...). But still good advise. Not many would have one of these super expensive vacuums.

I got time before my tank arrives. And it might be months before I get the time to install it. Worse case if I can access the part where the rubber meets the metal I can at least disconnect it from there before making my cuts and leave the part at the filler hole connected to the side of the bed.

Thanks for the feedback!