Beware of installation of EGR super guard bug shield. Damaged paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi folks. Would just like to provide a bit of feedback on a product I used and my experience.

I month or so ago I installed a EGR super guard bug deflector and the part number is 302655.

While cleaning my truck I noticed some white on my black grill. Upon further inspection I noticed that the bug shield actually sits on the grill and constantly rubs as you're driving. The product was installed in the correct manner and following the instructions. In a short amount of time it gouged the plastic on top of the grill where it meets the hood on both corners and hot right down to the plastic. Lucky it's not medal, however, it still looks unsightly and unacceptable. In my opinion products should be preventing damage and not causing it.

Needles to say the company I ordered it from has a 15 return policy and that only if it's unused and in original packaging. Which to me is useless as people sometimes don't know they're satisfied till after some use of a product. The company EGR sadly has not bothered to return my email and the website contact form was useless on both my phone and laptop. I had to email them directly as the site is quite sad.....

Before anyone considered this company/product I felt people should be aware of the fitment issues I encountered and lack of customer service before proceeding with the purchase of a $150 bug deflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Shocking. LOL. I emailed them saying I will be sharing my experience of service or lack thereof and within 5 minutes I got an email ha ha ha ha

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
So what did they say ??? Inquiring minds want to know ! :O

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
He wanted a phone call. But it's long distance and I'm not paying anymore than I already did.

No resolution at this point.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
He wanted a phone call. But it's long distance and I'm not paying anymore than I already did.

No resolution at this point.

Thanks for the update.. Bummer it is a toll call for you. I can call anywhere lower 48 Canada and Mexico Toll free :) Hope you get a proper answer from them, Why can't they call you ???

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
dont you have a cell phone? who pays for long distance anymore

*****. I'm in Canada man!!!! The cell phone industry is still in the year 2000 BC compared to the U.S. Also, what I pay would probably make your head spin for a mere 5 GB a month

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
dont you have a cell phone? who pays for long distance anymore
My thoughts exactly.

I would like to see overall pictures of it installed and detailed pictures of the offending issue before passing judgement. No offense, but otherwise it just seems like a baseless rant.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
*****. I'm in Canada man!!!! The cell phone industry is still in the year 2000 BC compared to the U.S. Also, what I pay would probably make your head spin for a mere 5 GB a month

LOL funny I can call Canada from the States on my Cell :O amazing how some things are different

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My thoughts exactly.

I would like to see overall pictures of it installed and detailed pictures of the offending issue before passing judgement. No offense, but otherwise it just seems like a baseless rant.

That's it installed. Right in the corners of the grill the bug shield sit directly on the paint. I took it off and painted the grill so pictures of that are not available. I also don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm just ranting and not posting a legitimate concern. In fact. If you want to buy my EGR deflector I'd be more than happy to sell it to you. After 2-3 weeks expect the paint to be rubbed off.

f51811fa9fb90823889fd660ba9da644.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well, that's why I said no offense...
so I will just wait and see if others have similar thoughts here.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, that's why I said no offense...
so I will just wait and see if others have similar thoughts here.

I can put no offence in front of a lot but doesn't make it right nor does it make it more polite. Just sayin. You don't know me and I don't know you. However, I will say that I am not a troll or someone who posts frivolous or malicious things about a company without it being warranted. Maybe the product is defective or maybe it's not quite built to 2017 specs. Who knows. All I know is I received damage on a brand new truck from a product that is effectively installed to avoid damage from rocks and or bugs.

I've been using forums for quite some time and always strive to make useful or productive posts and try to provide assistance to fellow members.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I can certainly understand your frustration if that happened to my brand new 2017 truck.
Unfortunately there just isn't enough detail here to make much of a case with EGR if you fixed the damage and can't get them on the phone or to call you instead.
Either way I'm sure people will at least pause before they consider buying one; I would based on just one negative review of something as significant as paint damage.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, the company was great to deal with once they finally got back to me. They sent me a new one I installed it today and it still rubs in the same spot as the last one. I'm going to have to shave it down where it sits on the grill.

Otherwise happy with customer service but the product has its faults for sure. This is my second one. I'll see what the long term holds and will report back what the hood looks like in the spring

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe you could send them some pictures of the problem, especially if the second one has the same problem as the first one. As you said they may have a problem with the new model, although I think they are the same hood etc. as the older models. At least they were decent once you made contact. You might think about putting some of the 3M clear "bra" material on the places where the bug shield rubs---it might protect the paint in those areas.
Jay

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Maybe you could send them some pictures of the problem, especially if the second one has the same problem as the first one. As you said they may have a problem with the new model, although I think they are the same hood etc. as the older models. At least they were decent once you made contact. You might think about putting some of the 3M clear "bra" material on the places where the bug shield rubs---it might protect the paint in those areas.

Jay

Yeah I'm thinking doing that. There is not much play in it. The pieces that secure the shield have a groove and slots on the actual shield. So when install it it's where it's gonna be. The shield hits the grill on the top corner. The last one hit both corners. This one only hits the one. Obviously there is not a big market for this As it seems I'm the only one with the flat black EGR bug shield lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW one of a kind--it must be worth a mint!!! :naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
WOW one of a kind--it must be worth a mint!!! :naughty::naughty:

Jay

Lol. I wish. Some simple modifications should do the trick. I guess some mods require that's in a whole Just didn't think I'd be a simple bug deflector ha ha.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you take a close up picture of where the new one rubs? I am curious to see how it is rubbing. Also, take several pictures and send it back to the company. If they see what the issue is, they could have their engineers redesign it.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Could you take a close up picture of where the new one rubs? I am curious to see how it is rubbing. Also, take several pictures and send it back to the company. If they see what the issue is, they could have their engineers redesign it.

In the AM I'll take pics and share