Bigger tires...what about your spare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So as the title reads... For you guys with bigger than factory tires (35" and up), what did you do about a spare? Keep the original? Or put a cheaper tire thats the same size as your wheels? Will a larger tire fit under the truck? Annnndd finally, do the spare rims have any limitations as far as weight or tire size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
spare factory 20 with a 1/4" spacer to clear up front if need be. no need for me to spend 500 on a spare when I haven't used the oem spare since I owned the truck

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Other questions you might ask is how bad will it **** my 4x4 truck up if I drive any distance with different size tires? Is it OK to put a smaller tire on the rear and drive it? Can I drive it if I don't put it in 4 wheel drive? If all my tires are not the same circumference will it screw my transfer case up if I drive in 4 wheel drive?
Jay

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Other questions you might ask is how bad will it **** my 4x4 truck up if I drive any distance with different size tires? Is it OK to put a smaller tire on the rear and drive it? Can I drive it if I don't put it in 4 wheel drive? If all my tires are not the same circumference will it screw my transfer case up if I drive in 4 wheel drive?
Jay
Think of it this way, most cars now a days come with a donut spare. Much smaller than the standard tire. If it hurt the car than the manufacturer wouldn't sell the car that way.

I use the stock spare tire on my truck. Haven't needed it yet, but when only using it to get to the tire shop it'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
Jay

it won't unless you plan on going offroad or drive across the state.
yes u can and it's actually better to put on rear
don't put in 4x4 and no.it won't unless again your driving across state and doing sweet jumps

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Don't know about the transfer case but it won't do a posi rear end any good. That's why the spare in my street rods are the same size as the rear tires.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Daily driving, I don't carry a spare. Even if I'm going a couple hours away. Always have someway to do something if I got a flat.
If on a road trip going across the country, I may take one. Thinking now... I'd have to buy one. I haven't one.
But flats for me are uncommon. I run excellent tires.
Helps I have my own tire machine.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was thinking about buying a commercial type tire, or a cheap used mud terrain (either in 35") to put on the spare. But I'm wondering with a 35" diameter, would that fit under the bed?

Obviously I could just throw it in the back of the truck, but I'd rather have bed space for long trips.

Edit 2: anyone know the dimensions of the spare rim?

Last edited:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I was thinking about buying a commercial type tire, or a cheap used mud terrain (either in 35") to put on the spare. But I'm wondering with a 35" diameter, would that fit under the bed?

Depending on what else is there. Not on mine. Exhaust is in the way

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's all factory piping for me.. 6" lift is on the way.. Don't think that would effect anything?

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my spare is 20 " and with exhaust n hitch nothing else bigger would fit

Thanks... I believe it would be in my best interest to just remove mine.

Going to get me one of those cool tailgate replacements and buy a brand new wheel to put on display ;) .

Just kidding.

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually have a 315/70/17 on a cheap steel wheel I found. Its super tight in there, but it most deffinately fits. And its a new tire, so a used one would fit alittle better even

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted this topic a while back.

I believe 35" is the max that you can cram under there anyways.

I don't carry a spare....roadside assistance.

Plus my ram didn't mind losing an extra 70lbs.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm on the same train of thought with you.. I took mine out as well. But I'm also thinking lately of getting a flat on a trail.. That would suck.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Situation dictates...but my ram sees most maybe 100 miles a week.

Now, if it was my daily driver I might have to come up with other alternatives.

Fierodough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a different size tire DO NOT throw it on the back. Put it on the front and drive in 2 wheel to get to a tire shop. In 2 wheel, the front tires are freewheeling and will not screw anything up.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Situation dictates...but my ram sees most maybe 100 miles a week.

Now, if it was my daily driver I might have to come up with other alternatives.

My Ram typically sees LESS than 100 miles per week, and it IS my daily driver... (3.1 miles one way to work).

A stock size tire should be fine in most cases. Put it on the front and in 2WD you have zero worries (if you don't have positrac/locking rear diff it could be on the rear just as easily). If you're on a trail and NEED 4WD, that means the traction levels are low enough that the difference in front/rear axle speed is going to be negligible. However, in that case, take it out of 4WD whenever you don't really need it.

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I posted this topic a while back.

I believe 35" is the max that you can cram under there anyways.

I don't carry a spare....roadside assistance.

Plus my ram didn't mind losing an extra 70lbs.

Seriously? I can't imagine getting out in the middle of nowhere without a spare and no cell service. Here in Nevada there are lots of dead spots and you would not even be able to call for help. Plus, I would rather just change it and get it over with instead of wait for a truck to tow you because you don't have a spare to put on it.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i used the best of my old ************* duratracs as a spare. (295 70r 17) it doesn't fit as snug as the oem tire in the tire holder tho.no roadside assistance when you get a flat 80 km's down a dirt road ( pos duratracs).