Blacked out emblems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone get Blacked out emblems for the Grille for an 09-12? The 13s and up the corners of the emblem are slanted.. so I bought the blacked out ones but it doesn't fit perfectly into the grille insert.

Here is a photo.. the one on the bottom left is the way it should be and the top right is the way it is... this is the kit I ordered.. the one on the bottom left is the back and top right is the grille one.. but the 09-12 grille has the same shape as the back emblem.. just smaller..

I sooo didn't wanna plasti dip.

Attachments

• emblems.png
    emblems.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 216

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^ Yep!

picture.php

Adam

timmmithy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People bash plastidip. But honestly, a can of glossifier and a can of black will be cheaper, and you won't have to remove the emblems, not too mention it looks 95% identical if done right.

Unfortunately it sounds like you've already removed the emblems.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People bash plastidip. But honestly, a can of glossifier and a can of black will be cheaper, and you won't have to remove the emblems, not too mention it looks 95% identical if done right.

Unfortunately it sounds like you've already removed the emblems.

Not yet... only the front one. It clips in anyway.

I popped it out last night and tried the plasti dip. I must be putting to much on or something because it comes out slightly bubbly.

I will grab the glossifier.. but I was thinking about just getting high gloss rustoleum. Spraying that over the plastidip and if it sucks.. I can still peal off the layer of dip.

timmmithy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not yet... only the front one. It clips in anyway.

I popped it out last night and tried the plasti dip. I must be putting to much on or something because it comes out slightly bubbly.

I will grab the glossifier.. but I was thinking about just getting high gloss rustoleum. Spraying that over the plastidip and if it sucks.. I can still peal off the layer of dip.
Be careful spraying ordinary paint over the plastidip. It will still peel built will be more of a chipping process rather than having it peel offing one piece. Because ordinary paint/clearcoat hardens as it dries where plastidip retains a malleable characteristic

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful spraying ordinary paint over the plastidip. It will still peel built will be more of a chipping process rather than having it peel offing one piece. Because ordinary paint/clearcoat hardens as it dries where plastidip retains a malleable characteristic

Thx for the tip... I just ordered the gloss plastidip instead

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can't wrap my head around this plasti-dip fad. I understand it's removable...looks ok for a little while... But if someone were to buy black emblems, then obviously they're looking for a permanent solution. If you're going to spray clear over plasti-dip, it defeats the "purpose" of using it in the first place.

If you want black emblems, and you can't buy them that way, then scuff them up real good with a fine grit paper (ie 800/1000/scotch brite pad), prime, paint with desired color, clear them and be done forever.

This is the clear that I would recommend.
5ee502994224385dc36c3aa6c84d5e62.jpg
48fd9d484917013cfad76d9dbd6577f4.jpg

IMO

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Use plastidip like you would spraypaint. you are going for multiple layers and not trying to lay it down in one pass.

The glossifier is made for plastidip so it doesnt "ruin" it.

Many reasons to go with plastidip. 1. its easy, 2. its quick, 3. its cheaper, 4. its not permanent, 5. it doesn't really suck unlike what AB says, 6. many colors.

Not sure why the hate for plastidip.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Plasti-dip would pair well with some strut spacers and atturo trail blades. There's always a cheap/easy way.

Taking the time to do something right, or spending a little more cash for best results (which is minimal $ in this case) goes a long ways... For you and on lookers.

IMO

Last edited:

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Plasti-dip would pair well with some strut spacers and atturo trail blades. There's always a cheap/easy way.

IMO

and yet it would look exactly the same as paint. And, if you dont like it, you get rid of it.

Take your while emblems, you cant do anything about those. If you used plastidip you could have experimented with an off white color to see how those would pop. If it sucked, you get rid of it, if it was awesome you keep it.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Many reasons to go with plastidip. 1. its easy, 2. its quick, 3. its cheaper, 4. its not permanent, 5. it doesn't really suck unlike what AB says, 6. many colors.
Meh, my dad always told me that anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I did use plastidip first, to see if I liked it, then I removed it as soon as it dried.

At the end of the day... It's not my truck/money...just feel an obligation to lead the horse to water

IMO

Last edited:

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I did use plastidip first, to see if I liked it, then I removed it as soon as it dried.

At the end of the day... It's not my truck/money...just feel an obligation to lead the horse to water

IMO

But what kind of water? Is it the kind that has the crocodiles in it that will eat the horse?

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Sorry to get everyone all fired up!

:naughty:

Its all just personal preference in the end...

timmmithy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya wouldn't really call it a fad, it's barely any different from actual paint, aside from the fact that it saves tons of time and money since you can avoid sanding and expensive paint. Not to mention the removable factor is a huge plus as most people tire of color combinations over time.

Also, it's quite durable. I've ran a 2800 psi pressure washer over my emblems many times, usually 6 or so inches away. And if you put enough layers on, the rubber surface will stand up to stones longer than a hard surface paint and clear coat.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea, it's durable, cheap, easy to use, last longer and stands up to rocks and chips better than paint.. Even looks better too! I really hope cars just start coming from the manufacturers, coated with plast-dip.. I mean why wouldn't they!!?

I'm no amatuer when it comes to plasti-dip, or paint. Ive been using it for about 6 years. I too fell into the addiction at first, and quickly faced the reality of it as I was finding myself recoating often, it looks tackey after a while... And once I realized that there's nothing spectacular or impressive about it, I started using it as a tool to guage an appearance prior to going forward.

Any 8yo can ride their bike to walmart, grab a can with their lemonade stand money, and spray it on their rims... I like professional appearance and finish, not the easy/lazy way.

IMO