Brake Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
On Saturday I will be changing front brakes on my truck for the first time. I've done cars and suv's but never a truck. Will I run into anything different from the usual pulling off the caliber, pulling out old pads, pressing back caliber pistons, insert new pads, reattach caliber, done?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That should be it. I haven't done it to these trucks, but don't see anything different than other brakes. Make sure your rotors are smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A 1500's brakes are the same as a SUV or dodge/chrysler sedan. Nothing special. Cleanup the sliding parts or pins well.

The rears have a parking brake shoe, which is typical for RAM and Chrysler, but may not be for other brands.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Seems turning the rotors doesn't work and they warp very soon after. Replace them if needed.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Yeah, I'm thinking I may need to replace the front rotors, not sure yet. Sometimes when I use the brakes, I feel a warped feeling going on so I'll have to see when I get them off. I have had a couple cars that had that rear parking brake shoe on it so I think I should know what to do with it but I'm not sure I'll be replacing them or not. Getting the new wheels Friday and they will be going on as I swap out brakes so I'll be able to check them all then. Thanks guys.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a full brake service in a 13 not so long ago, the fronts were very straight forward and simple just as many other cars. The rear had the rotor with the brake shoe was was a little more difficult but still the same as most cars and trucks.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
There just like any floating calipers.

Un bolt the calipers from the spindle.
Pop out the pads,
press the pistons in and drop the pads in.
Bolt back up.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I definitely have a warped rotor but can't seem to tell if it's coming from the front or back. How can I tell the rotor is warped? I'm upgrading my brakes but didn't want to buy all 4 rotors if I didn't have to.

Adam

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On Saturday I will be changing front brakes on my truck for the first time. I've done cars and suv's but never a truck. Will I run into anything different from the usual pulling off the caliber, pulling out old pads, pressing back caliber pistons, insert new pads, reattach caliber, done?

What pads / rotors you getting?

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I definitely have a warped rotor but can't seem to tell if it's coming from the front or back. How can I tell the rotor is warped? I'm upgrading my brakes but didn't want to buy all 4 rotors if I didn't have to.

Adam
Most vehicle braking occurs on the front brakes and they generate the most heat. Unless your back rotors are super old (multiple front brake changes), I'd by default assume your warped rotor would be in the front.
I'd imagine the steering wheel would shake when braking if one of the front rotors are warped.
To isolate it further, you'd have to spin each rotor and compare the rotor's "straightness" against another straight object. So, if you can spin the rotor while installed look at the inside edge of the brake pad. Does the rotor get closer, further away, closer, away as the rotor is spun?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Adam

Most vehicle braking occurs on the front brakes and they generate the most heat. Unless your back rotors are super old (multiple front brake changes), I'd by default assume your warped rotor would be in the front.
I'd imagine the steering wheel would shake when braking if one of the front rotors are warped.
To isolate it further, you'd have to spin each rotor and compare the rotor's "straightness" against another straight object. So, if you can spin the rotor while installed look at the inside edge of the brake pad. Does the rotor get closer, further away, closer, away as the rotor is spun?

Like MEchase said. Does your steering wheel shake when braking?

And MEchase is right. Most of the time it will be the front rotors warped.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a proponent of rotors not warping.

If the rotors have life left them I'd reuse them and see if new pads take care of the problem. Likely past pad material build up?

You could mill the rotor 1-3 thousand to get rid of the junk/irregularity.

Once new parts installed...then bed the pads with a bunch of hard stops progressing in speed. They'll get hot. It's normal. But it may just take care of the "warped" rotor

Last edited:

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Like MEchase said. Does your steering wheel shake when braking?

And MEchase is right. Most of the time it will be the front rotors warped.

No, the steering wheel does not shake. That being said, I lifted the rear end off the ground and had my wife press the brake very slightly and I spun the rear tires by hand and could feel the catch. So it's definitely the rear rotor that's warped. Thanks for the help! Now to decide on what brakensetup to buy as I want to get some better brakes for the bigger wheels/tires.

Adam

serialize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Check the fronts too.
I just went through this at 60,000 kilometers.
Felt the thumping from the rear and in the brake pedal.
Changed the rears and serviced the shoes, got better but then the front vibration became very apparent and can feel it in the steering wheel (I probably just couldn't feel it as much before because I was noticing the rears so much).

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check the fronts too.
I just went through this at 60,000 kilometers.
Felt the thumping from the rear and in the brake pedal.
Changed the rears and serviced the shoes, got better but then the front vibration became very apparent and can feel it in the steering wheel (I probably just couldn't feel it as much before because I was noticing the rears so much).

I'm going to give her all new brakes since I did the lift. I need better stopping performance with the bigger wheels and tires. I was going to keep the rear rotors on if they weren't bad but now, I'm just going to replace all 8 pads and all 4 rotors.

Adam

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Got them changed out. Easy as any other car I've done. Good thing I did them now too. I knew I needed them on, I didn't know how bad they were. Driver's side was almost down to the metal on one pad, other side wasn't a lot better. Also looks like I might need new front shocks soon. Could be time for that Bilstein level job.