Brake dust on the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MossyXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Bighorn. Today, I noticed there is brake dust that is on the side of the truck. It's between the front wheels and door on both sides. There isn't brake dust on the wheels. Is this a normal occurrence? This is my first truck and I've only had it a little over a month.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never noticed any brake dust at all on my 2016

OP
OP
M

MossyXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I get back outside, I'll take a few pics to show.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What color is your truck, and does it look like little rust specs? If so its probably rail dust and will come out with a clay bar.

OP
OP
M

MossyXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is on both sides.
e02ffadb0e908567e9fdd55960364cf2.jpg
430e9f09b48063867975cb84aee29baa.jpg

OP
OP
M

MossyXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What color is your truck, and does it look like little rust specs? If so its probably rail dust and will come out with a clay bar.
It's black. It doesn't look like rust.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My truck is white and I would see small rust specs every so often what is rail dust. I don't see it anymore and when I did it was a very small on the bottom of the door

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rail dust is microscope pieces of metal that gets embedded in your clear coat. It mainly comes from how these vehicles are shipped...on rail cars. Some of these vehicles travel hundreds of miles this way. With metal wheels on metal rails the friction creates these little specs of metal. It's the equivalent of brake dust only metal dust. It only shows up on light colored vehicle after being exposed to moisture. This could take months. It easily comes out using a clay bar.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've never had that issue on any of my trucks. Seems to me that, if it really is brake dust, that a pad change is indicated.

There are less dusty pads out there and a lot of folks rave over the EBC pads.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I have a 2015 Bighorn. Today, I noticed there is brake dust that is on the side of the truck. It's between the front wheels and door on both sides. There isn't brake dust on the wheels. Is this a normal occurrence? This is my first truck and I've only had it a little over a month.

Do you use tire shine stuff? If so then there is your culprit, same stuff on my old girl, I stopped using it and haven't had a buildup since.

OP
OP
M

MossyXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That maybe it. I noticed it soon after washing the truck. Thank you for that perspective.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
When people take there cars to car washes they are all about efficiency and speed. They won't use the best products, don't care about your vehicle or what it's going to do a day from then. People want shiny and that's what they give you. The tire shine is crap at those places and they liberally apply it. There's your issue. Brake dust is a red tint, black is just road dust sticking to your tire shine which has been slung off the wheel onto your fender.

Most people don't even know you need to wait a certain time after applying so it doesn't sling off after your moving. And I can tell you it's like an hour or more depending on how many coats.

Bottom line is detail your own truck or wait the recommended cure time after application.