Which Brake Pads for Cold Weather!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title reads, looking into getting some new brake pads. Stockers are low and need replacing, rotors are in great shape and will not be replaced at this time. Looking for pads that are good for a DD, occasional off roading, but mostly that can handle well in winter. Temps get to -45F and lower in the winter, road surfaces are entirely ice (few inches thick) and often slippery.

Would like a pad that has good cold bit but not gonna rip my face off because too much bite will cause the tires to break traction on the ice.

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
dont feel like pads are your concern.. prolly should make sure ylur tires are up to par

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Brakes and ice = no bueno.

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brakes and ice = no bueno.

Agreed. They are seldom used as I usually let the truck slow itself down. But lots of stop lights on my way to work so it's inevitable at some points. That's why I want something that'll still work well in cold, but not have a super sharp bite when I do need to stop

Sent via telepathy

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Agreed. They are seldom used as I usually let the truck slow itself down. But lots of stop lights on my way to work so it's inevitable at some points. That's why I want something that'll still work well in cold, but not have a super sharp bite when I do need to stop

Sent via telepathy

You might already do this but what I do when really slippery usually when mild during those times where ice is most dangerous. I put tow haul on and manually select the gears. Then the engine brake really helps out with slowing down without having to risk the fish tailing of even a little braking.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for this I'll check them out! Free shipping to Alaska as well?

Double checking that right now, I'll let you know.

The first link is what my rep at R1 suggested for best cold weather braking and the 2nd link would be the next best choice but is better for towing.

Sent via telepathy

You might already do this but what I do when really slippery usually when mild during those times where ice is most dangerous. I put tow haul on and manually select the gears. Then the engine brake really helps out with slowing down without having to risk the fish tailing of even a little braking.

engine braking can literally be a life saver in those conditions. good suggestion

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452