Brake Replacement on 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well last week my Dad called and told me he had to do his brakes as they were down to nothing in the rear. He has about 88,000 on his '09 with some very tough miles put on. He had to go to the dealer because I live too far away and it was over $700 for front and rear. I thought that was crazy markup what have you seen for prices at shops for this repair out there?
I had looked at mine last week when I rotated my tires they looked fine and I am at 95,000. I was about 40 min from home when mine started grinding. I knew the sound very well as I had it happen before. I ended up doing front and rear last night. I turned the front rotors and replaced the rear did Wagner thermoquiet pads all around but was surprised to find the front brakes had about 3/4 left on the pads while the rear driver side was the one wore through the pad with all rear pads very thin. I have done a lot of brake jobs from my vehicles and my families usually do the front twice before touching the rear. Have any of you done brakes on the 4th gen and found rears wore out before the front?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am not the original owner on mine so I don't know brake history but I did my rear at around 100k. The outer pad was good but inner was gone. Fronts still had alot of miles left but they could have been done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am not the original owner on mine so I don't know brake history but I did my rear at around 100k. The outer pad was good but inner was gone. Fronts still had alot of miles left but they could have been done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I am guessing then that this is just the way our trucks are. The rear pads I don't know who makes them for Chrysler but based on searches I think front OEM are brembo which would make sense why they lasted so well.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the traction control?

Or the trailer sway control since I know it will modulate the brakes to calm things down if the trailer gets all "squirrely".

OP - Was is it a typical brake job or did Chrysler get "creative" with the braking system back there?

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my front brakes on 2010 at about 85K. I never had to touch the rears. Weird.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Or the trailer sway control since I know it will modulate the brakes to calm things down if the trailer gets all "squirrely".

OP - Was is it a typical brake job or did Chrysler get "creative" with the braking system back there?
Very normal and easy disc brakes. No surprises or challenges. Very very easy. The rear pads were pretty even but the one on drivers side inside pad was lowest and the cause of grinding. It stops much better now that I have all good pads. We will see if I end up regretting only turning front rotors instead of replacing. The only option for rotors at O'Reillys in stock was Chinese brakebest ones. Not a fan but we shall see.