Brake Upgrade??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackgold2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to install a 7" CST lift on my 2009 2WD ram 1500 and will be running 20x10 Helo wheels with 35x12.50 tires. I'm a little worried that my braking performance is going to go down with the bigger size wheel/tires.

Has anyone experienced any problems with their brakes after installing bigger wheels/tires?? Also, what brake upgrade kits are available for our trucks?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a feeling that you'll be kicking yourself for only goin with 35s
I havent heard any complaints from guys running 37s even. Often times guys will refer to help get that truck going but stopping doesn't seem to be an issue

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
id give anything nearly for disk all the way around haha

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The big brake upgrades for the 4th gens are from baer and brembo. Think they're near $4,000 for the front

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What do u need to upgrade to bigger rotors? Just different brackets?

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm about to install a 7" CST lift on my 2009 2WD ram 1500 and will be running 20x10 Helo wheels with 35x12.50 tires. I'm a little worried that my braking performance is going to go down with the bigger size wheel/tires.

Has anyone experienced any problems with their brakes after installing bigger wheels/tires?? Also, what brake upgrade kits are available for our trucks?

You will be adding more rolling weight, in turn increasing the distance needed to stop. I used my stock brakes on larger wheels and tires for several years. Did it work yes...but you could tell that it was wearing on the brakes. I couldn't justify spending several grand on a "big brake kit", so I upgraded to drilled/slotted rotors, and also upgraded the brake lines. My truck is now on 38's, and while it doesn't stop on a dime...it is a huge improvement.

I have a feeling that you'll be kicking yourself for only goin with 35s
I havent heard any complaints from guys running 37s even. Often times guys will refer to help get that truck going but stopping doesn't seem to be an issue

Keep in mind his is a 2wd too.

What do u need to upgrade to bigger rotors? Just different brackets?

The big brake kits typically include the larger rotors and more pistons. And yes, they would come with different brackets.

OP
OP
B

blackgold2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback. So which drilled/slotted rotors did you end up going with? Also did you keep your stock calipers?

After the lift is installed I plan on having my dealership swap out my 3.21 gears for 4.10. So hopefully this will resolve the issue of maintaining performace with the bigger size wheels but really want to improve the braking as well without breaking the bank.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the feedback. So which drilled/slotted rotors did you end up going with? Also did you keep your stock calipers?

After the lift is installed I plan on having my dealership swap out my 3.21 gears for 4.10. So hopefully this will resolve the issue of maintaining performace with the bigger size wheels but really want to improve the braking as well without breaking the bank.

Brake Rotors Brake Disc Drilled Slotted Rotors Brake Pads

Kept the stock calipers, just had them powder coated. Your dealer is doing the gear swap? What are they charging you?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some one needs to see if the SRT Ram brakes will work on a 4th gen. I loved them on my 05.

OP
OP
B

blackgold2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kept the stock calipers, just had them powder coated. Your dealer is doing the gear swap? What are they charging you?[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the link. Those rotors seem like a lot cheaper option. I would also like to have my calipers powder coated, just have to do some shopping around to see who does it and for how much.

I'm not sure how much the dealership plans on charging me but I'm sure it's not going to be cheap.

Some one needs to see if the SRT Ram brakes will work on a 4th gen. I loved them on my 05.

I was also wondering about the SRT-10 brakes......has anyone tried installing these on a 4th gen????

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not familiar with the 4th gen brakes...however I'm sure it could be done, but wouldn't be a direct bolt on by any means.

I have 37's and my brealks are stock. i have no trouble stopping. When i do need breaks i will get the slotted rotors as well. I wont be spending now 1k on a break upgrade though haha. These are what i am looking at...

Your Shopping Cart

Same page I posted. And you mean to tell me you don't see any change in your stopping distance?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not familiar with the 4th gen brakes...however I'm sure it could be done, but wouldn't be a direct bolt on by any means.

I know the calipers won't just bolt up. You have to have the SRT spindles as well even for the 3rd gens. Someone would have to see if a SRT spindle would fit on a 4th gen.

shieldsdb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Five.SevenlExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Rotors: Power slot slotted

Pads: Hawk pads

Ran me 500$ all the way round for my V6 04 ram... tend on doing the same cause stopping came alot quicker i noticed with the upgraded

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running 20" wheels with 35's. The truck stops just as well as it did with stocks.

Thats a good article but...Who the hell is repeatedly slamming on the brakes from 110mph? I don't think that break assessment applies to 99.999999% of the owners.

The weight difference from the stock wheels to 35's are very little.