Brakes failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMINL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I have a 2012 RAM 1500 LONGHORN (SLT) 4x4 with HEMI 5.7L with 131,000 miles on it currently.

Last week my brakes failed for the second time since I got this truck. When I hit the brake pedal I felt vibrations in the brake pedal and heard a grinding noise coming from the brakes. It almost felt like some kind of debris got stuck somewhere in my brake system. Braking force decreased by at least 50% (the first time it happened with about 75%) and I barely made the exit.

The first time it happened I was only doing 35 mph. The second time around 70 mph on the highway.

I had my brake pads and rotors replaced earlier this year (front and back). The first time my brakes failed was about two years ago (with old brakes).

My wife is pregnant and I am getting concerned about her safety when we use our truck.

Anyone know what the problem may be?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did this happen during hard braking? It's possible the ABS triggered
Take you truck to a deserted back road or parking lot and try slamming on the brakes as hard a possible. At least you'll know if the ABS is triggering and what it feels like when it happens.

OP
OP
H

HEMINL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Yes it did happen during hard braking. But it does not do it all the time. I have only experienced it twice during the 130k miles I put on this truck and I have had to brake hard many times already.

You may be right about the ABS being triggered. Why would it trigger intermittently though? And what would be the fix to make sure it won't happen again?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if i was concerned about the breaks i would either go back to the shop, if you used one, that did the brakes and go over the complete system, or bring it to a dealer. you don't want to mess around with a faulty brake system.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's probably not a problem with the truck, the problem isn't something that's happening persistently. I've had the ABS trigger many times during dry weather driving in city traffic. I'm going to take a guess you don't get snow or ice where you live?
It's was probably something on the road. You would be surprised how "slick" the rubber expansion joints and reflective road marking stickers are. Other things that I have had set off my ABS has been bumps/potholes, manhole covers, and oil residue on the road.
That feeling of reduced braking force is normal when the ABS triggers. The ABS is "pumping" your brakes rapidly to keep the tires rolling so you can maintain control of the vehicle, once the wheels lock up you have no control. When the ABS does trigger, if you have to stop, bury the brake pedal to the floor as hard as possible.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Could it be the calipers ? Similar symptoms happened with my wrangler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk