Bug deflector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 ram 1500, I'm looking for a deflector but all I can find are the ones that cover over the headlight also, does anyone know where I can find one that just goes across the hood,I've seen a couple in my area, but cannot find them online. Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
Tpearson515

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the pictures are generic but the reviews show the one that go over the head lights, wasn't sure if they made one for the 2015s that only go end of hood to end of hood

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i got one from mopar and it just covers the hood

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the one from Weathertech, love it so far

picture.php

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have the Mopar one. Fits perfectly with no gaps or wobble and looks clean imo. Not a fan of the ones that flare out over the headlights. The way the hood is designed on these trucks looks good with it. But i bought it for functionality first.

pz63pX8.png

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... But i bought it for functionality first.

Functionality - lol - what functionality?
I have the same oem one (just not the chrome) and it does nothing functional at all. Bugs still keep splashing all over the windshield.

Bought my truck with the bug guard mounted and took it off first thing.
Put it back on a few weeks later because I kinda liked the look of it, but never noticed any difference.

I think these things are just for the looks.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I could give two ***** about bugs. At least 4 times a year I drive from MI to MA and it prevents rocks and small pieces of debris from bouncing all over the hood. I already had some small chips and a dent happen right on the spot above the grill where the deflector covers from crap bouncing up... Much rather it hit that plastic than my paint.

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an AVS hoodflector that looked like the weatherTec mentioned above. I liked it but ended up returning it bc of the high pitched whistling noise it created at highway speeds, drove me nuts. Now I just use a AVS aeroskin-albeit modified as it arrived with the end broken, so I cut it flush and did the same to the opposite side, looks like that mopar shield now.
IMG_0463.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaglefrq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have problems using the windshield washers at highway speeds? Several years ago, I had one on an SUV and noticed at highway speeds the spray pattern was almost useless. After taking it off, I didn't have the spray problems anymore.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMG_20180320_140448.jpg I just put this one on after seeing chips in paint with the 3M film and the yellowing on a white truck. I know it doesn't cover the whole hood, but it's the best compromise I could come up with. Should prevent most hood chips.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 123300 I just put this one on after seeing chips in paint with the 3M film and the yellowing on a white truck. I know it doesn't cover the whole hood, but it's the best compromise I could come up with. Should prevent most hood chips.
Is that the Mopar one? I like that look

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do these "bug detectors" really keep bugs from getting on your wind shield or is that just what they are called but don't really do that?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a 2015 ram 1500, I'm looking for a deflector but all I can find are the ones that cover over the headlight also, does anyone know where I can find one that just goes across the hood,I've seen a couple in my area, but cannot find them online. Any help is appreciated
I had the opposite problem, I had trouble finding one that went over the headlight that I liked. My thought was why only protect part of the hood? That front edge takes on a lot of dirt and road debris plus the bugs and I didn't want the paint chipped. The front corner of the fender is a likely place for chips also. Heres what I have.
https://www.realtruck.com/stampede-chrome-bug-shield/R182604P2015Y2712MA.html

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Do these "bug detectors" really keep bugs from getting on your wind shield or is that just what they are called but don't really do that?
To an extent. It helps some and the wind pushes them higher on the windshield but you will still get bugs on the glass. My concern was the front edge of the hood getting chipped. My shield has a couple deep gouges that would have probably chipped the paint.