Canbus LEDs needed for the maplight, reverse light, cargo light, and tag lights??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys, are canbus LEDs needed for the mentioned lights so I don't get an out light notice on my dash? None of those lights blink so I shouldn't need a resistor for hyper flashing. I want to say the only lights you need canbus for are the headlights, and fog lights but wanted to make sure first. Thanks for the help

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Not for a 2012... 2013+ are the picky ones with LEDS

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All full LEDS in mine. No problems.

I just noticed you said taillights too. You will need resistors for those to prevent hyperflash.

Twizzy228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How difficult are the map and dome lights to change out?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have a 2015 and am using cheap ebay ones with zero issues

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
How difficult are the map and dome lights to change out?

Very easy. Take a small flat screw driver. On the map lights the end that pivots just pry by pushing the lenses towards the windshield. You'll see a tab. Just keep prying until it pops out. On the dome, driver's side you'll see a notch. Pry there and same as the map you'll see a little table.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
greychevy

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just noticed you said taillights too. You will need resistors for those to prevent hyperflash.

Taglights, not tail lights. I know the tail lights would need resistors to prevent hyper flashing.

I appreciate the feedback guys

ipodnag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do i need a canbus ballast for my 2012 ram 1500 hid install?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

ipodnag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i feel really dumb asking so many question but thank you BlownGP for all the answers.
If i have the the dual set up Ram 1500 SXT
The site says for the quad set up how about the dual set up. Again Thanks

CanBus Adapter

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They should work for either since you plug those in between the ballast and HID bulb.

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found a set of Canbus LEDs I used in the cargo lamps on my 13 and 14 Ram. My plate and reverse lights are standard LEDs with no resistors or canbus system and work fine. My 14 Ram have the black package so I have led turn and brake lights factory but I would imagine resistors would be needed on regular ones. I used resistors with the switchbacks on my friends 13 Ram up front. My lows are canbus hid kit and I have the new high power led's in the fogs and no flicker or issue and have no error box in them. Not sure about the interior lights I haven't tackled all 3 of them yet. Don't really use them so I may get around to them later.

Lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not for a 2012... 2013+ are the picky ones with LEDS

@BlownGP... or anyone else for that matter.

I have a '12 can anyone say for sure what all lights I would need a Canbus LED for? I just swapped out my license plate lights since I had a blown OE one. And am having no issues with Non-Canbus LEDs. Will I Canbus LEDs for the Reverse, Cargo, Center Brake, Interior Dome/Map/Glove Box Lights? I know, I would need a Resistor for the Turns all around, do I still need Canbus LEDs along with the Resistor???

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have a '12 can anyone say for sure what all lights I would need a Canbus LED for? I just swapped out my license plate lights since I had a blown OE one. And am having no issues with Non-Canbus LEDs. Will I Canbus LEDs for the Reverse, Cargo, Center Brake, Interior Dome/Map/Glove Box Lights? I know, I would need a Resistor for the Turns all around, do I still need Canbus LEDs along with the Resistor???

I mentioned it on another thread and people said I was incorrect, but I know for a fact you do not need canbus led's for the rear plate lights and reverse lights. I think everything else though is monitored by the canbus system. I run non canbus led's in reverse and plate lights, but I do use a canbus cargo led light.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

I used el cheapo eBay LEDs for my LP and entire interior and have had no problems. Also got some switch backs for the front turn/marker lights from eBay they needed resistors. The cab lights are all I have left is to change out.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

From my understanding like you quoted I thought the 2009-2012s don't have issues with the cheap LEDs.

I run all ebay led inside and outside of my truck with no issues.

You can try canbus LEDS if you want for the license plate. It's not going to hurt anything.

Lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys. I already have non-Canbus LEDs for the license plate. Seems like my suspicions were right. It would be nice if we had some tried n true list for different years n models to say what LEDs would work.