Challenger hood mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok so I couldn't find a thread about this but I want to make my hood Functional on my ram R/T. I'm going to try and rip into it in the morning. I've seen people drilling holes and putting lights in it. But I want to cut out the back of it and stick some mesh behind it. I was thinking about making it functional into the intake or just let it bring air into the engine bay. It rarely rains and never snows here so I'm not worried about outside elements getting into the engine bay that shouldn't. Has any one made the scoops functional or have removed them and can shed some advise?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes step one open hood step 2 carefully remove that carpet crap on the hood lol the heat stuff step 3 remove scoops they just clip on step 4 cut out the honeycomb areas with tool of your choice i used my vice grip and my mini saw saw. Now file the edges down so they are smooth get some mesh mold it to the back of the scoop then j/b weld it into place wait like an hour put scoops back in replace the heat sheet and cut holes out of it where the scoops are . There is no kit yet to make them functional with the intake yet.

also check this out will help out to

Projects: Drag 'N' Wagon | Official Website of Stacey David and Gearz

he cuts his scoops out

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you got a few ideas. Maybe some more of the 4th gen guys will chime in. Kinda lame they aren't functional, or there isn't a ram air kit you can buy.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Zuiquan, so those challenger scoops were a straight swap? No modification necessary? Could you attach some tubing to vent the air flow near the intake?

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
I want to make this functional but haven't looked into it.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Wasn't there someone on another forum making it functional?

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Zuiquan, so those challenger scoops were a straight swap? No modification necessary? Could you attach some tubing to vent the air flow near the intake?

if they are a straight swap i bet there will be some people hitting up ebay looking for them...LOL

OP
OP
BigH0ss

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll see what I can do today and let ya know if I can figure something out. Thanks for the step by steps :)

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7

Looks like he did some hood cutting on a few of those pics no thank u i like the way i got it lol not cutting my hood.

OP
OP
BigH0ss

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know it's off topic but does any one know if the rear emblem comes off in 2 pieces like the front?

OP
OP
BigH0ss

BigH0ss

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
46a235e3-64bb-5ae6.jpg
46a235e3-64d1-d1e4.jpg

Turned out great

zuiquan1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry late reply lol, no they aren't a straight swap, the Challenger scoops are a lot smaller than the Dodge ones. So I had to taper down to the Challenger scoops. I just used gorilla tape and then painted it with plastidip! Gonna replace it with some rubber strips I bought to make it a little more lasting. Also your gonna have to drill out your Ram scoops.

And yes your gonna have to do some cutting, there's a giant brace covering both scoops that blocks everything,

I plan on modifying it to vent straight into a Vararam scoop whenever they release.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
How big are the openings for it to be channeled into an intake or sorts?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have it just pour into an intake what about the water i know when it rains my engine gets soaked and with all the new electronic stuff it really can't be good nor can cold water on a hot block.So would there not have to be a catch can of some sort for the water. Also not sure what brand cai it it but they are talking about making a ram air kit it will hook on the bottom area of the bumper and feed right into the bottom box of the cai .

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I believe Chithead was also working at making his functional not sure on how far he got.

zuiquan1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive been driving it through pretty bad rain, like monsoon every single day for the past 3 months, the engine isn't any more wet with em installed then when they weren't. I haven't had any problems. I will be adapting them to work with this intake, whenever its available-

The actual hole into the engine bay is only like 2" x 4" or so, not very much air getting in. Obviously right now its not doing anything but at least they work, and whenever I get this Vararam installed it will be a little extra air, but most of the ram air will be coming from the radiator area.

Still, its different, and custom. Now when people ask me if my hood scoops are functional I can say yep! Before everyone was like "what they just for looks?"

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ive been driving it through pretty bad rain, like monsoon every single day for the past 3 months, the engine isn't any more wet with em installed then when they weren't. I haven't had any problems. I will be adapting them to work with this intake, whenever its available-

The actual hole into the engine bay is only like 2" x 4" or so, not very much air getting in. Obviously right now its not doing anything but at least they work, and whenever I get this Vararam installed it will be a little extra air, but most of the ram air will be coming from the radiator area.

Still, its different, and custom. Now when people ask me if my hood scoops are functional I can say yep! Before everyone was like "what they just for looks?"

Damnnnnnnnnn i like that system how long before they make for a 2011

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
And ya i feel ya on the scoops but mine are open with a screen on the back and my engine bay gets soaked.