Change battery on TPMS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just sold my tires and wheels and left my TPMS sensors in. I got the guy I sold them to to take his OEM sensors out of his stocks tires and give them to me as part of the deal. We both have 2012, so the frequency should be the same at 433hz. Since I have the sensors out right now, I'm wondering if you can put a new battery in them? I am getting my truck aligned and the sensors are at the house right now so I can't take a look at them. If anyone has changed the batteries or has some info on what type of battery it is, let me know please. Thanks!

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Good question. I was told they are basically throw away units, at least the one time I needed one replaced. Totally off the wall guess, CR-232.

OP
OP
012RAMbo

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea that's what I'm thinking. The battery for them would probably be just about as much as a new sensor. Just guessing though.

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Batteries are molded into the sensor housing. There's no battery replacement option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
012RAMbo

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, that's some good info thanks. I hope to get my new wheels and tires on by Friday.

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Really really old thread but, here is my $.02.

I had a few of these laying around for my 2015 2500, that have dead or low batteries. I figured instead of throwing them in the trash I'll cut one open just to see what the battery looks like. Especially the current price on these new right now.

The first sensor i just ripped open haha, didn't really care. But I found out that they take a specific CR2050B battery. After a quick search I found a set of 5 of these batteries for just under $20 shipped. Link here -

This is the ONLY link I found online for this specific battery, so I ordered the batteries and took my time cutting the second one open. I will try and keep y'all posted on if the batteries work or not.

I would rather spend $5 on a battery and do it my self than spend $30-$50 on a new sensor.

I will be able to put the sensor back together. It will just takes some super glue or similar. I just ned to find something that will hold it together at higher speeds.

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright guys it worked!

I bought the link above. Said it was going to be like 5-6 weeks to get them shipped but I got them in roughly 2.5 weeks.

Cut my old ones open. Really just popped the white/clear backing off of the sensor, pulled battery and green board out. Replaced the battery, and super glued them back together.

The first sensor I kind of butchered the back but it was my test one. The other 3 sensors came off easy and you can’t really tell I did it.

Took them to the local tire shop and they tested them with their Snap-On tool and all test fine, I did test the batteries with a multi-meter before I installed. Now I just need to get them in the tires.

Most of these tpms sensor’s board/battery are glued in the casing but not these. They popped right out pretty easy. As long as the link above is still good you have to buy that style of battery.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. This was def a lot cheaper than buying new ones and only took less than $20 with batteries and glue haha.

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not sure if it matters to anyone, but the batteries I bought were the EXACT replacement, same company (Panasonic), same logo, same everything. Pure identical matches haha

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not sure if it matters to anyone, but the batteries I bought were the EXACT replacement, same company (Panasonic), same logo, same everything. Pure identical matches haha
Good show,thank-you for the update.