Changing door handles PITA!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I bought body color painted door handles to change on my express. Let me tell you if you do not drill the hole it is a major pain. My hands a week later are still recovering. I didnt want to drill the hole in the door so i did it all thru the little window that is at the bottom. Now that it is done Im happy but unless you have super skinny hands it is damn near impossible. good luck to anyone wanting to try and do this. I do not understand why they made this so difficult.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drilled the hole(s) when I changed to chrome handles and it was still a PITA!

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I drilled also. It is a major PITA but very worth it. The worst part was trying to fish out a dropped screw from the bottom of the door.

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember reading the same horror stories when I looked into changing the handles on my '05 300C, guess not much has changed. I cringe every time I watch my 7 year old yank on the door handles of my truck for fear that the cheap plastic parts will break and I'll have to do this myself. Of course there's a very tiny little part of me looking for an excuse to swap out the chrome for body colored. :)

OP
OP
M

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
I drilled also. It is a major PITA but very worth it. The worst part was trying to fish out a dropped screw from the bottom of the door.

I dropped the screw twice, awful cause the magnet i had couldn't go to the bottom of the door. had to take the rubber strip off the bottom and push the screw to the corner with the drain hole. so glad its over. haha

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'd do it again and cuss the entire time. I considered swapping on the chrome handles on my Laramie, but, they are tie in with the mirror and steps and are starting to grow on me.