Cheap LED lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlw186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 2WD
I recently received two cheap Walmart LED lights as a gift. They are very low quality at $20 for a set. But I was thinking about my options for using them. My first thought is to use them in the tow hook section of my truck and wire them so that they turn on with my headlights.

My second thought is to use them for extra light when reversing.

The lights also came with a rocker switch but I also have a SPDT relay to use for wiring. So i have a few options to consider.

I attached some pictures to show what it would look like in the front. Just want some comments about it, legality, if it's tacky, etc.

Thanks
-Jon

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
No picture, I had to use photobucket to get pics on here.

BeachinIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI.
I wouldn't bother. LED's are so cheap now, I'd get a decent set for slightly more money. Check the LED thread.

OP
OP
J

Jlw186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 2WD
Yeah, I know what you mean. The problem is that I got these as a gift from my brother and want to put them to use. So I'm definitely gonna do something just considering the options first.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They might work as a pretty decent set of aux reverse lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jlw186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 2WD
Yeah, that was the second option I'm considering. It'd be nice having more light when reversing. And for other people around me to notice. Where would be a good spot in the back?

I wouldn't need them as much in front because i have HID's with projectors. But those tow hook slots look perfect for them..

BeachinIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The problem is that I got these as a gift from my brother and want to put them to use. So I'm definitely gonna do something just considering the options first.

If that's the case, I'd use them as reverse lights.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Most people throw them in the rear and don't realize that most are SPOT LED. Which means it's going to throw light 600 yards behind your truck.

If they are FLOOD - they work 100 times better as they throw light just 40 feet all around the back.. not 600 yards away.

I don't see any indication of what style those lights are. But see if they say SPOT/PENCIL or FLOOD/WORK..

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Just need to point them to the ground about 20' out and they will work good.

OP
OP
J

Jlw186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 2WD
The box describes these lights as "racing lights". I think this means similar to lights for drag racing so more like spot lights.

But regardless of whether I place them in the front or the back I will need to wire into the TIPM with the SPST relay. I've never worked with the TIPM before so is there a wiring diagram I can find for it and instructions for terminating the wires to the TIPM terminals? I don't want to splice the wires but will if I have to.

Also, I've attached another photo of how they look in the front. I'm really liking how they are flush and fit snug.

IMG_20170219_160654732_zpszp0ttcdp.jpg