Chrome + winter + salt = F winter!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ohh, its a 12. No wonder I didn't recognize it. I have been thinking that a mesh like that would look good on my truck but they dont make them stock like that anymore. I dont think the 12s will fit my truck, 14.

Nope, they won't fit. 09-12 can swap with each other and 13-16 can. They did that redesign of the grille, bumper and fogs in 2013.

Adam

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I was at work today and decided to rinse off my 2012 1500 Laramie to get all the damn salt off my truck and the chrome. While doing so I notice the salt over the years has started to eat away at the chrome on my running board on the driver side in 4 places. All there the black plastic step meets the chrome. F YOU winter!!!! Guess it's time to buy some black running boards now! Smh. Im going to be super pissed if this happens to my rims!!!

Yep, that's why I hate chrome in Florida to , $2000 set of wheels will pit in 2 years , destroyed in under 5 years

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Chrome= crap finish.

With all the other finishes out now chrome is by far the worst. Shows the most inperfections and is easily damaged. My chrome clads had rust marks like little pin holes from 1 winter, so immediately when on the plasti dip and clear coat.

Powder coating is far superior but usually powder coating isn't done to stainless but mild steel. The coating will eventually fail around holes or points of rubbing and the rust will grow. Personally found 304SS nerf bars that are powder coated black so I get the best of both worlds. You have to verify the metal quality as most are mild steel powder coated black.

Your sorts **** out of luck as nothing will be as shiny as chrome but perhaps putting on a few clear coats when new before install will help. Or limit rubbing areas around the plastic inserts.

OP
OP
R

RBR73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think what I'll do next September or so is Plasti Dip all my chrome to protect it from the salt. Chrome in the summer, gun metal Plasti dip in the winter

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The best protection from salt on your chrome or aluminum rims is a winter set of wheels and tires. A stock size all season tire is usually better in the snow than an extra wide rock crawling tire or a mud tire with huge tread which is what a lot of guys run on their nice wheels. Or have a daily driver and let your pretty truck sit in the barn until the weather breaks. That works for me. Mine hasn't been on the road for over 2 months.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963