color changing LED bed light wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Has anyone added LED strip lights in the bed with the factory bed lighting? If so, how did you wire the color changing remote?

I'd like to do this but unsure how it would all wire up. Obviously I would tap the existing lights for power, but I'm confused how to wire in the remote. Most of the kits show it connected to power and the strip light.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have full RGBW lights in my bed (along with stock bed lights). What remote are you referring to? I personally use a bluetooth controller that allows me to use my phone to control the RGB lights and I have the White wired to operate as factory.

muscleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have strips and I want to put them under my bed rails .
My issue is the tape it comes with sucks.
How do you guys make it stay on

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have strips and I want to put them under my bed rails .
My issue is the tape it comes with sucks.
How do you guys make it stay on

I had a set of strip lights in my previous F-150 with factory bed liner and I didn't have any issues with the lights coming off. I had seen some guys put double sided tape down first and then add the strip lighting to that.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay the problem with just using an IR remote is 1- the receiver has to be in line of site to work, think TV remote. 2- If you tap into the bed lighting for power you will ONLY have operation when the stock bed lights are activated. If you want them to be on at your own control you'll need to tap an ignition source 12 volt.

As far as getting them to stick, I used aluminum channel to mount mine under my Tonneau cover rails https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M09PBYX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used exterior 3M double sided cushion tape to attach them to the Tonneau mounts and they are solid. Also having the cover on them diffuses them more and protects the lights.

I have some information in my build thread (link in my signature) about my lights if you are interested.

My suggestion would be forego the IR remote, it is probably going to end up causing more of a headache then it is worth. Operationally do you want additional bed lighting OR do you just want the asthetic RBG lighting in the bed?

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My suggestion would be forego the IR remote, it is probably going to end up causing more of a headache then it is worth. Operationally do you want additional bed lighting OR do you just want the asthetic RBG lighting in the bed?

I just want the additional light and figured the rgb would be fun at the same time. At this point, I'll probably skip that and just go with one color.

And I was only planning on adding them to the existing light...they'd all be on at the same time. I don't have any intention of driving around with them on.

Thanks.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Then I'd suggest just picking up white led strips and adding them to the bed. I don't think you would bother to use the RGB feature after a few days of installing them since they'll only be on when you need to see in the bed. I will say, adding additional lighting to the stock bed lights is a HUGE help.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yeah, the were amazing on camping trips and such with my previous truck.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Litew8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have full RGBW lights in my bed (along with stock bed lights). What remote are you referring to? I personally use a bluetooth controller that allows me to use my phone to control the RGB lights and I have the White wired to operate as factory.
How did u wire it? U need a converter?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
RBG (and RGBW) led strips work on common anode wiring. So 12volt is supplied to all the leds and then the controller provides the cathode (ground). To wire mine up so white were factory operation I wired up the 12+ to a constant fused battery source (made up my own secondary auxiliary fuse box). I tapped the existing bed light to trigger a relay which then completed the circuit for the white lights.

the RGB function comes in easily; the controller gets power (in my case from an keyed source) so that I can turn on the RGB function any time the car is on. The RGB cathodes are then wired to the controller and now everything functions as I want it to.

If you have more questions either post on my thread or message me and I'll be happy to help. Don't want to jack this thread.