Color matched antenna base and tailgate handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since my truck was in the body shop for a new bumper, I decided to get my antenna base and tailgate handle painted as well. The good...they did not charge me any extra for them. The bad...they had the truck for 4 days when the quoted me two.

Overall, I am pleased with how the tailgate handle came out. As for the antenna base, not sure. The color matches well and it is shiny, but I can still see the texture of the plastic. When I see pictures of others that have it done, they appear to be smooth just like the fender. Is this something that could smooth out with polishing/buffing or did the shop just do a poor prep job?

DSCN1706_zpsebdf759c.jpg

DSCN1705_zps4eb6051a.jpg

Reailzed I never really posted a pic of my truck.

DSCN1707_zpsd0e925f2.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO I wouldn't have paid for that! That looks horrid!
Any paint to match part should have a smooth surface texture to match the surrounding paint!

I'm surprised a shop would let something of such poor quality leave their doors!
Unfortunately, you can't expect much for free.

You can likely take some 2000 grit to it and smooth them out a bit, then polish them back up.
Just make sure you let the paper do the work (aka, very light pressure) and make sure you're sanding with a good lubricant, not dry.

Side Note: Truck looks beautiful! Is that a Sport? I've never seen those wheels on anything short a Laramie

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good they didn't charge you for that because if I were you I wouldn't have paid for it.

Forgot to mention, no matter how much of the clear you sand you're still gonna see the texture. You're best option is sand with 600 till it's smooth then respray the color and clear. Then wetsand with 2000, then buff and polish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO I wouldn't have paid for that! That looks horrid!
Any paint to match part should have a smooth surface texture to match the surrounding paint!

You can likely take some 2000 grit to it and smooth them out a bit, then polish them back up.
Just make sure you let the paper do the work (aka, very light pressure) and make sure you're sanding with a good lubricant, not dry.

Side Note: Truck looks beautiful! Is that a Sport? I've never seen those wheels on anything short a Laramie

I thought it should be smooth to match as well. Thanks for the compliments. It is a Limited.

That's good they didn't charge you for that because if I were you I wouldn't have paid for it.

Forgot to mention, no matter how much of the clear you sand you're still gonna see the texture. You're best option is sand with 600 till it's smooth then respray the color and clear. Then wetsand with 2000, then buff and polish.

Thanks for the tips. I am debating either buying a new plastic base and starting from scratch by sanding and rattle can paint or just sanding this one down.

Any tips on where to get colormatched spray paint?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd use the one they painted, they're paint will make a good primer for new paint to stick to.

You can order 5oz cans of Mopar colormatched paint from your dealer.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're more clever than I for thinking of that. We just got ours back from having the rear bumper resprayed and I never even thought of color matching some of the crap, black plastic.
Tyler's advice is sound.

OP
OP
R

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd use the one they painted, they're paint will make a good primer for new paint to stick to.

You can order 5oz cans of Mopar colormatched paint from your dealer.

Would you recommend a coat of primer anyways after sanding or just straight to the paint and clear?

OP
OP
R

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're more clever than I for thinking of that. We just got ours back from having the rear bumper resprayed and I never even thought of color matching some of the crap, black plastic.
Tyler's advice is sound.

I can't take credit for it either. I would have never thought of it if I had not seen it here on ramfoum.com first.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the tips. I am debating either buying a new plastic base and starting from scratch by sanding and rattle can paint or just sanding this one down.

Any tips on where to get colormatched spray paint?

I would use what they did as a base.

I think the dealer is likely the best bet for colormatch.

20ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is how mine came out. I sanded and sanded until it was smooth as glass.

Attachments

• photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34