Color matching cap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddyisu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anybody else having issues with manufacturers color matching their cap or toneau covers? My truck is a 2015 Granite crystal 2500. I ordered a cap from the local Leer dealer and the first attempt was way too dark, almost black when looking at an angle. Dealer sent it back and the second attempt was better but still too dark so he's sending it back again. We were going to pull the gas cap cover to send it along but you practically have to disassemble the tank too. I found a YouTube video pulling the cover off and the guy used a hacksaw to make a cut. This dealer and myself aren't exactly comfortable with doing that. He's checking local body shops now for a spectrometer to shoot the paint code for Leer instead.

To the dealers credit he's the one who's the most unhappy with the color and none of this has cost me anything out of pocket other than time running back and forth. Any suggestions???

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They should be using the paint code from your truck. Sounds like they are just eyeballing it. Using the gas cap is just another method of eyeballing. It might be closer but it will not be exact.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Access cover that is painted to match. I just supplied the paint code. Perfect match.

OP
OP
B

Bigdaddyisu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They should be using the paint code from your truck. Sounds like they are just eyeballing it. Using the gas cap is just another method of eyeballing. It might be closer but it will not be exact.

I don't think they're trying to eyeball it. They have my vin number. The dealer even pulled out a color chip sheet last time and my truck appears lighter than the paint chip also.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Paint code should be on an information plate somewhere on the truck. Check the door, get the code and compare to make sure.

chrisjohn09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know the leer dealer by me asked for the VIN number of my truck to match the paint.

OP
OP
B

Bigdaddyisu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know the leer dealer by me asked for the VIN number of my truck to match the paint.

They had this on the first 2 attempts. Leer dealer had me take the truck to an auto body place today where they read the truck with a spectrometer and will be mixing paint to send back to leer with the cap. Hopefully that's the end of it.