Condensation in headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So my truck went to the dealership for a few issues. One was condensation in the passenger headlight. Dealership says it's normal and acceptable. Wow. Then found out the dealership is worried they will get back charged if Chrysler didn't find it defective. What do you guys think? My driver side headlight doesn't do it.IMG_20161227_183642370.jpgIMG_20161227_171440502.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damm.

That's pretty bad. Usually happens on retrofitted heads.

If it was me....id just pull it and run a quick bead of silicone and call it a day. Simple fix.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Damm.

That's pretty bad. Usually happens on retrofitted heads.

If it was me....id just pull it and run a quick bead of silicone and call it a day. Simple fix.
I opened a case with Chrysler. Let's see were this goes. I'm the only one left in my family and friends that has stayed a Ram fanatic and it's these little details that I feel I shouldn't have to fight to make right.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have read that chrysler will this under warranty.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
According to Chrysler some moisture build up is normal and it is. Especially if there is a sudden change in temperature. The litmus test is if the moisture goes away in under 20 minutes with the high beams on. There is even a TSB for that. Not saying I agree, just that's the policy we have to follow.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
According to Chrysler some moisture build up is normal and it is. Especially if there is a sudden change in temperature. The litmus test is if the moisture goes away in under 20 minutes with the high beams on. There is even a TSB for that. Not saying I agree, just that's the policy we have to follow.
Ok. Then if it's normal both headlights would look like that. The drivers side doesn't have any condensation at all. That is where I call ******** on Chrysler. We all know that there is something going on with the seal on that light. Chrysler level of what's acceptable to me is "unacceptable". It looks like **** and the moisture never goes fully a way.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ok. Then if it's normal both headlights would look like that. The drivers side doesn't have any condensation at all. That is where I call ******** on Chrysler. We all know that there is something going on with the seal on that light. Chrysler level of what's acceptable to me is "unacceptable". It looks like **** and the moisture never goes fully a way.

I never said I agreed with it. As a Chrysler tech I'm just letting people know what I know in order to help them.

If the moisture is still there after 20 minutes with high beams on then even according to Chrysler there is an issue with that light.

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter to Chrysler what you or I feel is excetabale. They get to make the calls.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd bet it's a rock chip. I had this happen with my first new car a cobalt, and Gmail replaced it no questions asked.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I never said I agreed with it. As a Chrysler tech I'm just letting people know what I know in order to help them.

If the moisture is still there after 20 minutes with high beams on then even according to Chrysler there is an issue with that light.

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter to Chrysler what you or I feel is excetabale. They get to make the calls.
Maybe I came across wrong. I know your trying to help. I just don't understand there Chryslers logic. I guess I'll just turn my high beams on every time I get out of my truck to clear the moisture. WTF.[emoji108]

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went out of town last week and it was sure cold, I then noticed my headlights just like yours but I agree with everyone else it went away. It bugged me so much but now that I'm back home the temperature/weather is different and the problem hasn't came back since

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I came across wrong. I know your trying to help. I just don't understand there Chryslers logic. I guess I'll just turn my high beams on every time I get out of my truck to clear the moisture. WTF.[emoji108]

This is pretty common, and normal. I'll venture to say you're the n the south? The Durango headlights which are nearly identical get it too. There is a tiny drain hole in the assembly, which allows moisture to enter. Its very small, the condensation will go away, and does no harm.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone even try to use the "search" feature anymore? ...lol. Actually, if you used Google you would return a bunch of threads about this for that last 4 yrs with the oem projectors. My 2014 Sport did it and my brand new 2016 Rebel also did it. It's states in the owners manual about the condensation ("fogging") in the projectors being "normal" and there is even a TSB about what defines "normal" and "acceptable" fogging in the projectors. There are 3 vents on the back of the housings that are usually slammed tight by the factory and the 1st step is to open them up as far as you can without them falling off. People have had them replaced under warranty only to have the replacements fog up too. It's a ****** design and I completely agree that they should not do it. A couple yrs ago I started a thread about a method I do that keeps the fogging under control for at least a year at a time. See the link below.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/condensation_oem_headlights_fixed-58901/

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's what the owner's manual says...

Attachments

• Manual note about headlight fogging on page 722.JPG
    Manual note about headlight fogging on page 722.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 183

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the TSB for the fogging...

Attachments

• TSB for Headlight condensation pg1.jpg
    TSB for Headlight condensation pg1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 92
  • TSB for Headlight condensation pg2.JPG
    TSB for Headlight condensation pg2.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine never seems to go away. Now I don't have the "water droplets" but the condensation doesn't go away. I'll have to pop the light out this weekend and check it for leaks. I know everyone is saying it's normal but if it was the norm I feel my driver side light should do it as well. Maybe because we are OK with it that makes Chrysler think it's acceptable. Still to me it's just another quality issue.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine never seems to go away. Now I don't have the "water droplets" but the condensation doesn't go away. I'll have to pop the light out this weekend and check it for leaks. I know everyone is saying it's normal but if it was the norm I feel my driver side light should do it as well. Maybe because we are OK with it that makes Chrysler think it's acceptable. Still to me it's just another quality issue.

On my 2014 Sport, it would go away. But, on my brand new 2016 Rebel, it did not. So, I did the "fix" that I posted the link to in my post #14. I have not see any condensation since. Take it for what it's worth.:favorites13:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't even see why anyone gives a crap. It doesn't cause issues with using headlights, and it doesn't ruin, or break anything. Seems like a silly reason to discuss a fix for something that's not broken. What gives?

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't even see why anyone gives a crap. It doesn't cause issues with using headlights, and it doesn't ruin, or break anything. Seems like a silly reason to discuss a fix for something that's not broken. What gives?
Just cause the light works doesn't mean something isn't wrong. Obviously if only one light does it then something is wrong. Both lights are in the same environment but only one does it. If both of my lights did it then fine. They don't. And over time the condensation will discolor the clear plastic. Dude if you want to spend good money on ****. Then go right ahead. That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.