Consensus on headlight upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G3SRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
having a 2016, i also needed an antiflicker module, hence went with the Diode Dynamics HID conversion kit. Extremely happy with it and higly recommended.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Am I going to run into foggy headlights more often with HID's?

I have no fog in my lights. I put clear silicone around the access plate and the grommet for the hole made for the light harness to run through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have not found any info on the Philips CrystalVision Ultras in 9012 in Ram projectors, so I will give my detailed breakdown of what I have experienced.

I had Vosla HIR2's (9012) (supposedly the best and brightest true HIR2 on the market according to multiple sources) in my 2014 projectors and just swapped them with the Philips CrystalVision Ultras and side by side during the day I could not even tell there were 2 different bulbs installed. I will see how they shine at night but as of right now as I write this post I think I just wasted 30 bucks for nothing..

I did some research on Vosla and Philips and they are the same company. Literally everything down to the smallest detail on how the bulbs were manufactured they look like they came off the same assembly line, and used the same engineering. Vosla's are true HIR bulbs, you can see the holographic sheen in the lens that creates the infrared effect that makes these bulbs so unique. I noticed the same sheen on the Philips CrystalVision Ultas as well but the only difference was there was a light blue coating on the lens.

I have read that the stock projectors have a bluish hue to them and I am wondering if thats why I cant see the difference in the bulbs as its canceling the blueish look out, or it was always there even with the Vosla's. either way im starting to think ANY halogen in the stock projectors is going to produce the same output as stock.

Now.. with all that said. I have done a drop in 55W HID kid (OPT7) and I had issues with ballast not powering up in the cold. I called them and they took care of it and sent me a whole new system, and again it happened so Im not sure if its the HID kit or my truck. with that aside I was not happy with the output of drop in HID's. Yes, the light was much brighter as you would expect however, the light was not in the right places. the front and sides of the truck had loads of light but they did not project as far down the road as halogens do. there was a proper cut off and everything when you adjust them against a wall, but I also got hot/cold spots the further out the light went when I was on the road. also note that you will need to adjust your headlights waaay up to get the cutoff line to meet the halogen cutoff line so only replace one bulb at a time to use the stock halogen as a reference when aiming.

Im at my wits end with lighting on this truck.. my only option now is to get a retrofit, and i dont want to spend that kind of money. so these Philips bulbs will have to be it for me. I just hope I notice a difference tonight, but im not hopeful from what i saw during the day time..

****UPDATE****

I stand corrected.. The Philips CrystalVision Ultras are noticeably whiter at night. they have a very very light hint of blue to them when you look at the lights, but on the road they look white. compared to the Vosla's it took away the yellowish hue. I'm happy with them. I would recommend these over the normal Vosla's 100% (Vosla also makes a "blue" light, its the same thing as the Philips CVU). it deffinetly helps with eye strain on dark roads. but im blown away that i would see the difference I did with what I saw during the day. I think im going to upgrade the rest of my lights with these.

I hope some one finds this searching around looking for answers on these. Not only are they the same HIR2 thats claimed to be the best on the market but they are whiter than any "high performance" bulb I have see that is not washed out with blue. Very well made lights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963