Couple of issues on my drive to work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PSYS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM SPORT REG CAB 4X4
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My wife's commute is only 6 miles round trip so she gets the RAM Monday thru Thursday. My commute is considerably longer (45 miles round trip) but I take it on Fridays. I noticed a couple of things this morning:

1.) Driver's side foglight is out. :( Seems odd one of the fogs would just up and quit for no reason with only 22,000 miles on it. I noticed it when I started the truck this morning. Any good ideas for bulb replacements?

2.) I'm getting an "error" message on the EVIC advising that the "trailer brake is disconnected". I'm not towing anything to work (obviously) and this is the first time I've seen this error. I'll do a search to see if this is common, but after having the truck for just two weeks now... never seen this message as of yet. I hope it's nothing serious.

HAPPY FRIDAY, fellas!

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My wife's commute is only 6 miles round trip so she gets the RAM Monday thru Thursday. My commute is considerably longer (45 miles round trip) but I take it on Fridays. I noticed a couple of things this morning:

1.) Driver's side foglight is out. :( Seems odd one of the fogs would just up and quit for no reason with only 22,000 miles on it. I noticed it when I started the truck this morning. Any good ideas for bulb replacements?

2.) I'm getting an "error" message on the EVIC advising that the "trailer brake is disconnected". I'm not towing anything to work (obviously) and this is the first time I've seen this error. I'll do a search to see if this is common, but after having the truck for just two weeks now... never seen this message as of yet. I hope it's nothing serious.

HAPPY FRIDAY, fellas!

That's kinda funny. I just replaced my fogs 2 weeks ago because my driver's side went out. I had aftermarkets in though. Just odd it was the driver's side as well, and the bulbs were like 5 months old. They were cheap, but still odd. So I popped some brights in the fogs. :)

Have no clue on the trailer brake question.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you deal with snow and Fog frequently, the Amber fogs are the way to go. I had them on my previous truck and loved them. Waiting for mine to burn out so I have the excuse to get them again.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you deal with snow and Fog frequently, the Amber fogs are the way to go. I had them on my previous truck and loved them. Waiting for mine to burn out so I have the excuse to get them again.

Which amber fogs are you talking about, LED or halogen? I was looking at some online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had halogens. If i rremember they were nokya brand and I got them from amazon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PSYS

PSYS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was just looking at the Nokya brand on eBay. Looks like they've gotten pretty decent reviews. Think I'm gonna give them a try and see how they do.

anyone ever hear of this trailer brake disconnect issue?

OP
OP
PSYS

PSYS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Found this on another forum:

"I have a 2010 ram with the integrated controller pulling a 2011 27 fb since february with no issues. However i did have a temporary issue once where the brake controller would show a fault with no trailer connected. This was right after I power washed my vehicle. I tried to air blow the receptacle on the ram and sprayed contact cleaner to no avail. Next morning things were back to normal. I hooked my trailer since then and all was fine. I still think water got in and created a short circuit condition to ground.

I suspect in your case there is an intermittent ground fault that you will need to chase down. It would be good to hook your trailer put another tv and start troubleshooting from there.

Coincidentally enough, we had a pretty hard rain here yesterday and it was downpouring (in March?) here as my wife would've been driving home from work. She said she did not notice anything. *grr!* But on my drive to work this morning, it was plain as day.

The trailer brake control on the dash was flashing and "trailer brake disconnect" came up on the EVIC.

** EDIT: Ordered the Nokya's on eBay for $19. At that price, I'll give 'em a shot and see what happens. I would agree that the amber / yellow fogs in inclement weather are a nice safety feature.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My pass fog (PIAA) just burnt out after 24,000Km/13mos. GRRR! So much for $100 bulbs being better. Got 2 pair for $10 from eBay. Good enough.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Yep, I had the trailer brake controller error once after a power wash as well, that was about 5 months ago. Haven't seen it since.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
man. I kinda miss my yellers... I may just have to order me a pair.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
When you replace the fogs, instead of using the recommended bulb, use the bulb recommedned for the high beams on the 2012--look at the base you'll see they are the same.
It doesn't have a reflective tip, so you get great light and its down low so you're not blinding anyone.

OP
OP
PSYS

PSYS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yep, I had the trailer brake controller error once after a power wash as well, that was about 5 months ago. Haven't seen it since.

OK. So I got into my truck after work and no trailer brake controller error. Took it to the touchless car wash a few moment ago and the error comes back. Water must [obviously] be getting into the receptacle. Not sure how to alleviate that. The truck will be washed and it will rain and snow. Seems inevitable.

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, simple solution. Find some electrical grease and put a little in each hole of the plug. Should help keep water out and wont do any harm.

OP
OP
PSYS

PSYS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Actually, simple solution. Find some electrical grease and put a little in each hole of the plug. Should help keep water out and wont do any harm.

ugh.

That did not even come across my mind.
I'll pick up a tube this weekend and give it a shot.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
OK. So I got into my truck after work and no trailer brake controller error. Took it to the touchless car wash a few moment ago and the error comes back. Water must [obviously] be getting into the receptacle. Not sure how to alleviate that. The truck will be washed and it will rain and snow. Seems inevitable.

Glad you found the issue!! As posted above... A little electrical grease on the exposed contacts (don't forget the back of the plug) should take care of it.

Sent from my LG 8.3 GPe