Daytime Running Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello All
Just wanted to share my experience in getting my DRL's activated on my 2016 2500 Projectors. I couldn't find much information on this forum while I was doing some research but a couple of the other Ram Forums had the info that I needed. If you are interested in getting your DRL's activated it's fairly simple although your dealer will probably tell you otherwise. When I went in for my first oil change I asked them to activate them and the tech told me that the 'LM5" sales code that needed to be flashed to my truck for this to happen wasn't available for my VIN. I showed them the document which I have attached here but none of them "had seen anything like this before" and didn't want to spend any time looking into it. So, I went home and quoted all of the comments from the other forums, where guys were told the same thing but eventually found a tech willing to try it, along with the attached document again and emailed it to my service advisor at my dealership. They have been super helpful in the past and very easy to get along with. A week later the service manager left me a message and said that he had the parts manager add it to my VIN as a dealer installed option and for me to give it a week to show up for my truck and then schedule appt. to come in and try it. So I ended up going in a week later and after about 45 minutes the service manager came and told me it was done. Sweet! He said that was the first time they had been able to do that without adding a physical part. The DRLs work great and are super bright....they are the amber LED parking lights for the projector headlights. I don't know why they don't come from the factory like this to begin with. If anyone is in Central Indiana, give York Chrysler in Crawfordsville a call and they'll hook you up. Good group of folks.
Sorry for the long post.

ramdrl.jpg

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
have to get my dealer to turn mine on next time I bring it in. forgot about this during my last oil change.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If they came from the factory like that then there would be a thread on how to turn them off. :) If I want my lights on I know where the switch is. I'm sure they will be mandatory eventually like Canada eh?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
yeah well,a little safety never hurt anybody,eh? all new cars in 2017 must have backup cameras.

I agree. If anyone is such a bad driver that they are afraid to drive in the daylight with out their lights on I definitely want to be able to see them coming.:)

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's about you seeing, it's about others seeing you. I don't leave the driveway without my headlights on. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mostly people want the DRLS for looks. I had my dealer add the sales code for mine but they didn't do the right code and added the one for headlights on low beams instead of my turnsignal. I have the switchbacks installed so I'd like the DRL active without having to manually turn my parking lamps on. Besides the DRLS run bright so it's not like just turning parking lamps on.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I want it purely for looks, especially with the projector headlights.

Q68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's about you seeing, it's about others seeing you. I don't leave the driveway without my headlights on. Ever.

That's nice. Maybe you could teach some of the jacka$$es I see every night, driving down the road in darkness with no taillights - because they have DRL's and apparently think that means all their lights are on.

DRL's seem to be the latest and greatest king of unintended consequences in automobile regulation (or options).

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bad driving habits are bad driving habits. As long as the entitled millennial soccer mom can see out front, she'll never worry about behind her, or being courteous to other drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to have mine enabled and then I'm getting those switchbacks from diode dynamics.

Ramdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All
Just wanted to share my experience in getting my DRL's activated on my 2016 2500 Projectors. I couldn't find much information on this forum while I was doing some research but a couple of the other Ram Forums had the info that I needed. If you are interested in getting your DRL's activated it's fairly simple although your dealer will probably tell you otherwise. When I went in for my first oil change I asked them to activate them and the tech told me that the 'LM5" sales code that needed to be flashed to my truck for this to happen wasn't available for my VIN. I showed them the document which I have attached here but none of them "had seen anything like this before" and didn't want to spend any time looking into it. So, I went home and quoted all of the comments from the other forums, where guys were told the same thing but eventually found a tech willing to try it, along with the attached document again and emailed it to my service advisor at my dealership. They have been super helpful in the past and very easy to get along with. A week later the service manager left me a message and said that he had the parts manager add it to my VIN as a dealer installed option and for me to give it a week to show up for my truck and then schedule appt. to come in and try it. So I ended up going in a week later and after about 45 minutes the service manager came and told me it was done. Sweet! He said that was the first time they had been able to do that without adding a physical part. The DRLs work great and are super bright....they are the amber LED parking lights for the projector headlights. I don't know why they don't come from the factory like this to begin with. If anyone is in Central Indiana, give York Chrysler in Crawfordsville a call and they'll hook you up. Good group of folks.
Sorry for the long post.

View attachment 83083
Do you have the option to turn them on and off in your UConnect options (radio), my wife's journey does

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you have the option to turn them on and off in your UConnect options (radio), my wife's journey does
I don't believe so. You can in my wife's Grand Cherokee as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OP, do you know if this tech applies to the 17 1500 as well? Just checked and I didn't have active DRLs with my projectors... dumb.

Nevermind, found a 1500 thread on it.

Last edited:

DrkRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 crew cab Night Edition
Engine
5.7 hemi
cant i accomplish this by simply turning on my running lights??

jzales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cant i accomplish this by simply turning on my running lights??

You can.. but then it also dims your radio and gauges, turns on your plate lights, and taillights.

Having to turn them off when getting out of the truck and not having a dim radio was well worth the $40 it cost me to activate the drl.

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
$40?! After being told the dealership COULDNT activate the DRLS because there are no bulbs, they said IF they could do it, it would be $121.
I even gave them a print out supplied here by the forum and gave them the code.
I have the projectors btw.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$40?! After being told the dealership COULDNT activate the DRLS because there are no bulbs, they said IF they could do it, it would be $121.
I even gave them a print out supplied here by the forum and gave them the code.
I have the projectors btw.

I had mine done and it cost me $50 for the half hour of tech time to go into the BCM.
Unfortunately I need them to redo it because they put in the LM1 sales code which is for low beam at half power.

jzales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had mine done and it cost me $50 for the half hour of tech time to go into the BCM.
Unfortunately I need them to redo it because they put in the LM1 sales code which is for low beam at half power.

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I caught it before I left.. Lm5 is what you want.

It did take me 3 dealers to find one that could do it.