Dee Zee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Msawdust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab Big Horn edition. When I check the fitment on Amazon DZ43301 does not fit the Big Horn but it does fit the tradesman and other models. Just wanted to verify if others are using the DZ43301 on there Big Horns. I can’t imagine what the difference would between a Big Horn and the Tradesman. Thanks

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
There is no way there is a difference on the Tradesman and Big Horn tail gate system...I think you would be fine to order it. I’ll try to double check

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab Big Horn edition. When I check the fitment on Amazon DZ43301 does not fit the Big Horn but it does fit the tradesman and other models. Just wanted to verify if others are using the DZ43301 on there Big Horns. I can’t imagine what the difference would between a Big Horn and the Tradesman. Thanks

According to Dee Zee's website it will fit your truck: https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-tailgate-assist/

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a DZ43301 on my 2016 Big Horn short bed. When I bought it from Amazon a year ago it showed fitment for this model.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine fits (2015 Big Horn), but the clamped on guide rubs my tale gate. I have the clear tape there to prevent it rubbing the paint. It is annoying, but haven't been able to find a solution.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine fits (2015 Big Horn), but the clamped on guide rubs my tale gate. I have the clear tape there to prevent it rubbing the paint. It is annoying, but haven't been able to find a solution.

I thought I saw where someone just removed the guide thing. Not quite sure why its even there, they removed it and didnt see any other issues and of course, no more rubbing.

OP
OP
M

Msawdust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your input. I ordered one and will post my experience. The reason I wanted one was I had closed it the other day and took off. When I hit a bump the tailgate dropped down and from in the cab I thought a semi had rear ended me. I pulled over to see what had happened. Guess it was not closed all the way. I have a backflip cover and when it is cold the rubber seal is a little stiff. This should eliminate problems in the future.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for your input. I ordered one and will post my experience. The reason I wanted one was I had closed it the other day and took off. When I hit a bump the tailgate dropped down and from in the cab I thought a semi had rear ended me. I pulled over to see what had happened. Guess it was not closed all the way. I have a backflip cover and when it is cold the rubber seal is a little stiff. This should eliminate problems in the future.

Be careful there. The DZ won't stop the tailgate from opening, it will just prevent it from slamming down when it does. If you're moving, you most likely won't even know it came open until things start sliding out of the bed! There is a documented issue with some of the tailgate power locks having a missing or broken tab that causes them to unlatch the tailgate when they go to the lock position. Check the video below for details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHa6WUvqTHg

As to the guide piece rubbing the paint, I had the same issue. I installed a piece of 3M paint protection film over the entire area on mine (after fixing the paint damage). Seems to be working so far.

-K

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As to the guide piece rubbing the paint, I had the same issue. I installed a piece of 3M paint protection film over the entire area on mine (after fixing the paint damage). Seems to be working so far.

-K

My truck is at the dealer. Have you tried removing the guide like chrisbh17 said he saw somewhere?

Usually the guide is what keeps the cable from getting caught between the shock and the body. But I have had the guide itself caught between the shock and the body, it is a pain to get out.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just picked up a 2017, is this an issue with the piece coming from the factory incorrectly or is it something that happens after a while? I’m just curious if I need to be taking my tailgate apart to check this.
Thx

Be careful there. The DZ won’t stop the tailgate from opening, it will just prevent it from slamming down when it does. If you’re moving, you most likely won’t even know it came open until things start sliding out of the bed! There is a documented issue with some of the tailgate power locks having a missing or broken tab that causes them to unlatch the tailgate when they go to the lock position. Check the video below for details.

-K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my truck I just slid the guide down out of the way. So far so good but I can see the point of removing it completely.

Going on three years plus for the dee zee and still loving it.