Dee Zee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank god I'm not the only one...I'm building a collection of DeeZee parts in my basement. First one didn't expand, got another kit for free, discussed by phone, second one didn't expand.

I can install a set of headers, change my plugs at night in the rain and install new head units/amps, etc. I hate that little *******!

Well, then you know! I installed mine and everything behaved exactly as it should - exactly as expected, understanding how all the parts of the nutsert tool are supposed to work ... When tightening the regular nut on the bolt that is threaded into the nutsert, if neither the bolt or the nutsert are turning as you tighten that regular nut, then the space between that nut and the end of nutsert must shorten. This action expands the nutsert.

So ... was the nutsert threaded onto the bolt far enough that the threads on the bolt were fully engaged? If not the bolt could have pulled out of the nutsert without expanding it. Was the nutsert not properly threaded which would have allowed the bolt to pull out of the nutsert as the space shortened?

I would have really liked to see what you experienced since I can't imagine what happened in your situation ?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In order for the nutsert to work properly, you have to be able to tighten down the nut without the nutsert itself turning. This means the friction of the nutsert against the truck has to be greater than the friction between the nut and the nutsert. They include that little bearing plate to try to provide for low friction between the nut and the nutsert, but mine did more harm than good.

I even tried using a little bit of their threadlocker on the nutsert so it would be resistant to unthreading from the tool. Turning the nut put enough force on the nutsert that it broke free and started coming off again. I've installed many a nutsert over the years, but their setup is crap.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When I installed mine I had problems with the nursery expanding. I took it to the bench and pried the legs out with a small screwdriver. Just a little. Then check fit into the hole in the tail get. That is all it took to get the nut to expand. In its original state, trying to compress the nursery was the same as trying to compress a piece of tubing. Once the metal had a place to go it went easy.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed mine I had problems with the nursery expanding. I took it to the bench and pried the legs out with a small screwdriver. Just a little. Then check fit into the hole in the tail get. That is all it took to get the nut to expand. In its original state, trying to compress the nursery was the same as trying to compress a piece of tubing. Once the metal had a place to go it went easy.
I did this same thing. Got the expansion started outside the truck and took it to the point that it was dragging g to fit inside the hole and I had to give it a little push to.pop it in. That made the difference and I was able to compress (or expand depending on how you look at it??) the nutsert the rest of the way just fine. That little head start pushed it over the hill.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ This + use the thread locker and let it sit for a couple hours bf you install the nutsert.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
FINALLY got mine to expand....Good weather today and some time to mess with it.

What finally worked was applying more direct pressure with the allen head install tool while turning the nut. Guess I hadn't put enough on it before....tightened right up.

wutech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got it this morning, went the treadlock route to hold it and then I forgot to count turns, did it off visual and got good compression, will have to see how it holds up. 6 year old daughter can now open the tailgate.

AlienInferno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried installing mine today. The nutsert just spun. Found this thread. Reread the directions and sure enough the last page says what to try for this problem. Hmmmmm. Should make that a note in the actual step. Put some blue locktite on it and will hopefully be able to try again tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Had a little issue tonight with the nut sert but finally got it, rest was a breeze! Nice simple product!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HolyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I lost track of rotations so just kept backing out the large bolt to see how much it had expanded. Worked well for me

Sportman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried installing mine today. The nutsert just spun. Found this thread. Reread the directions and sure enough the last page says what to try for this problem. Hmmmmm. Should make that a note in the actual step. Put some blue locktite on it and will hopefully be able to try again tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I had the same issue.
After the locktite, it worked great!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reviving an old thread for a question.
My tailgate assist is scratching the hell out of my paint. It's the plastic spacer you add at the end. It's the correct length down but it's gone through the mylar tape and has taken off my paint. Any help?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk