Dee Zee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I just installed one for my brother in law. He was gonna get a Silverado and I steered him right toward Ram. He loved it and bought it.

I installed one yesterday for him.. the one he got, was a bit different than the others I have installed. He had you remove the drive side tailgate cable all together. The shock upper mount bolts into that same hole. Thought that was kind of weird.

Mickinohio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just ordered from Amazon . Kept telling me it wouldn't fit my 2016 Outdoorsman , but it will fit the SLT :) . 25 bucks and free shipping . Best having the tailgate drop on the grandkids head !!!

AzRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just installed one a week ago. Had me remove the upper cable mount on the driver's side as well.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed one a week ago. Had me remove the upper cable mount on the driver's side as well.
No , no. ,no lol . The post 41 says it had him remove the cable all together , not just the mount.
Am I reading that correctly ?

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone have a noisy / grindy kind of sounding shock?

brand new install, everything tight.. did it from the very first tailgate drop

Mine was the same. Dee Zee customer support was uninterested to put it nicely. Just kept telling me it didn't affect the performance of the shock. Eventually told me to return it - which I did (got it through Amazon). :flipthebird:

Shocking customer care to be honest - they make a point about going to them first before returning the unit (says that in big letters on the instructions) then just say that I have to live with it, or send it back to the seller.

Hoping the replacement will be better.

Last edited:

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Mine was the same. Dee Zee customer support was uninterested to put it nicely. Just kept telling me it didn't affect the performance of the shock. Eventually told me to return it - which I did (got it through Amazon). :flipthebird:

Shocking customer care to be honest - they make a point about going to them first before returning the unit (says that in big letters on the instructions) then just say that I have to live with it, or send it back to the seller.

Hoping the replacement will be better.
I assume so, and not being a smart *** at all, but Did you try adding some oil too it?
And working it a few times perhaps wasn't oiled in production. I haven't had this issue with either of the 2 I have had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine works Great !

Still suprized each time I open the tailgate!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It's a single mono-tube style strut - can't add oil.

I had a nutsert come loose on my old truck called them. They sent an entire hardware package for free. It was everything but the shock/strut..

Their customer service is very good.

My brother in law who I installed the new one for isn't going to use the truck too much for stuff, so the driver side missing the cable isn't going to be a big deal..

I kind of like how I have two and retained that cable...
But I am sure the strut is doing the same thing..

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
It's a single mono-tube style strut - can't add oil.

If this ^^^ is true, then where are you supposed to use the provided oil that comes with it in package? I have not used it but assumed it was for the strut.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only liquid that came with my Dee Zee tailgate assist kit was thread locker for the ball stud install ?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this what your kit looked like ?

4be9623ea7869f0f5c00d967e83a3623.jpg

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Only liquid that came with my Dee Zee tailgate assist kit was thread locker for the ball stud install ?
Haha, See what happens when something looks so simple you glaze over the instructions and assume that's small blue tube of oil for future rather than reading all the details. Thank you sir, I now know that's a tube of thread locker in top of my tool box then.
And I need to possible take off ball stud and apply properly.
Wasn't even here to learn anything tonite and accidentally did. Haha

Last edited:

Mickinohio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Received and installed in 10 minutes today . The only thing the instructions show to remove is the lock tab on the drivers side cable , but it tells you to replace the cable back in the same position , minus the lock tab.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead