Did Dodge Change TPMS sensors between 2013 and 2014????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so I just traded my set of 20x9 ATX Justice Wheels and tires with another Ram owner for his 20" Chrome 5 spoke wheels (I think their the sport ones... pictures below).

Anyways, my truck is a 2012 and my old ATX rims had TPMS sensors in them and they synced up with my truck. The rims I traded for came off a 2014 Ram and they had TPMS sensors in them aswell and before we traded I made sure to look at his dash and check the TPMS readings to make sure they worked.

Well once we swapped wheels and both drove off our seperate ways, my TPMS on my EVIC said "Service TPMS" and the little flat tire light is on. I called the guy I swapped wheels with and he said his had just done the same thing. So I'm assuming Dodge/Ram changed the sensor frequency sometime in 2013 or 2014.

So I know my ATX wheels had 433mhz TPMS sensors in them.

Does anybody know what frequency are the TPMS sensors on a 2014 Ram Quad Cab?

And does anyone know if a Dodge/Ram dealer or a tire service shop can reprogram the 14' sensors to work in my 2012??

Any help is greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance!!!

▪▪These Are The Rims I Traded Away▪▪
ee2b80dc8974d258f5b6cbf6355a1bde.jpg49705a182a9f0cc14239f7ed7f2946f1.jpg

▪▪These Are The Rims I Now Have ▪▪
43a0ca10344b62eb216456c8a61e6bf5.jpgbbb9075869ddce4105ff2c62023a0458.jpg

And this is what I want them to look like once the weather warms up and I can plastidip them.
c897dc94e557e9358c130fae020ba43a.jpg

Sent from hell via TapATalk

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They did change thru the years. Pretty sure the sensors are tied to the cluster, not sure there is a way to make them work without buying the proper year sensors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Pics?

Sorry lol I forgot to add pics.... I don't have any pics of them on my truck yet because it was dark out once we left the Firestone. I'll have to snap some pictures tomorrow. As for now, I updated the original post to include pics he sent me before we met to trade.
They did change thru the years. Pretty sure the sensors are tied to the cluster, not sure there is a way to make them work without buying the proper year sensors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Damn. That's no good. See i bought the ATX Wheels originally put them on my 06 that didn't have TPMS sensors so they weren't being used. Once i put them on my 2012 the sensors synced right up no problem. The ATX rims were originally from a 2013 ram before I bought them and put them on my 06 then my 2012.

Does anyone know for a fact that TPMS sensors from a 2014 can NOT be programmed to work on a 2012. Somebody has to have put stock 2014 wheels on their 2012.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The TPS on the 13+ trucks is different and reports through the RF module behind the back seat on the quad and crew. Not sure where yours is located. You'd just need to swap TPS sensors. They aren't that expensive. I think I set is like 90 bucks. Don't quote me on that.
Look at the premium cluster upgrade thread on the last few pages. Some good info there on how it all reports

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so I just traded my set of 20x9 ATX Justice Wheels and tires with another Ram owner for his 20" Chrome 5 spoke wheels (I think their the sport ones... pictures below).

Anyways, my truck is a 2012 and my old ATX rims had TPMS sensors in them and they synced up with my truck. The rims I traded for came off a 2014 Ram and they had TPMS sensors in them aswell and before we traded I made sure to look at his dash and check the TPMS readings to make sure they worked.

Well once we swapped wheels and both drove off our seperate ways, my TPMS on my EVIC said "Service TPMS" and the little flat tire light is on. I called the guy I swapped wheels with and he said his had just done the same thing. So I'm assuming Dodge/Ram changed the sensor frequency sometime in 2013 or 2014.

So I know my ATX wheels had 433mhz TPMS sensors in them.

Does anybody know what frequency are the TPMS sensors on a 2014 Ram Quad Cab?

And does anyone know if a Dodge/Ram dealer or a tire service shop can reprogram the 14' sensors to work in my 2012??

Any help is greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance!!!

[emoji830][emoji830]These Are The Rims I Traded Away[emoji830][emoji830]
ee2b80dc8974d258f5b6cbf6355a1bde.jpg49705a182a9f0cc14239f7ed7f2946f1.jpg

[emoji830][emoji830]These Are The Rims I Now Have [emoji830][emoji830]
43a0ca10344b62eb216456c8a61e6bf5.jpgbbb9075869ddce4105ff2c62023a0458.jpg

And this is what I want them to look like once the weather warms up and I can plastidip them.
c897dc94e557e9358c130fae020ba43a.jpg

Those are the chrome clads. Same as mine. I see you borrowed my plastidip pic lol. Definitely one of the cheapest and best pay off things I've done

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
plastidip doesnt stick to chrome very well so do some major prep first

tuned by Jay Greene

NCWill86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought. When y'all switched wheels, were both trucks being done at the same time? If so, when they set the sensors it could have still be reading for the original trucks if they were in close proximity. So when they trucks separated it lost connection from the sensors??? I am no way a wheel/tpms expert just a plausible error that came to mind. Try meeting back up with the guy and see if they register. Good luck.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

tuned by Jay Greene

This is true. I pressure washed mine and wiped with a lint free. Then sprayed with windex and wiped them down again. Although they are just chrome clads and not real chrome. A good prep will make the plastidip adhere way better and look better. I sprayed 7 coats. Comes out to 1 can a tire. A little over kill but mine look damn good lol

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The TPS on the 13+ trucks is different and reports through the RF module behind the back seat on the quad and crew. Not sure where yours is located. You'd just need to swap TPS sensors. They aren't that expensive. I think I set is like 90 bucks. Don't quote me on that.
Look at the premium cluster upgrade thread on the last few pages. Some good info there on how it all reports

Yea it's looking like I'm going to need new TPMS sensors. It's not worth taking the tires off and putting the sensors in and remounting the tires. I'm just going to wait until I need new tires and I'll get new sensors then. Sucks but I don't wanna pay $200+ just to put new sensors in, I'd rather wait until the wheels are coming off anyways and just do it then.
Those are the chrome clads. Same as mine. I see you borrowed my plastidip pic lol. Definitely one of the cheapest and best pay off things I've done

Yea lol sorry for jacking your picture lol.... you had posted it in my for sale thread and I had to save it, I love how they look. I can't wait to paint mine ugh but I live in the north east and winters are brutal and there's no way I can paint anything until maybe March or april [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

I've even thought of maybe painting them a metallic bronze. Red + bronze wheels might look really nice. I'll photoshop it and see how I like it. Besides it's just plastidip I could always peel it off if I don't like how it looks.

tuned by Jay Greene
Yea thanks for the tip. I've been painting and Plastidipping stuff for years. I don't plan on going back to chrome once I paint them so I'll be sure to prep them really well.
Just a thought. When y'all switched wheels, were both trucks being done at the same time? If so, when they set the sensors it could have still be reading for the original trucks if they were in close proximity. So when they trucks separated it lost connection from the sensors??? I am no way a wheel/tpms expert just a plausible error that came to mind. Good luck.
Yea I don't really understand what you mean. The problem is either the frequency at which the sensors emit their signal has changed or the receiver in the truck has changed. Either way it's not working lol.

NCWill86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they were working when y'all where together but not when you separated maybe your wheel sensors are still registered to your truck and his to his... if it were a frequency issue they would have never paired in the first place.

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 sensors will not work with anything pre 2014. Cheapest option is to go with new sensors....

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If they were working when y'all where together but not when you separated maybe your wheel sensors are still registered to your truck and his to his... if it were a frequency issue they would have never paired in the first place.
Yea i dunno... my truck had my old rim/tire psi reading for about 10 miles then all the sudden ****.... nothing.

It's looking like I need new sensors.
2014 sensors will not work with anything pre 2014. Cheapest option is to go with new sensors....

Yea it's looking like I need new sensors [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea i dunno... my truck had my old rim/tire psi reading for about 10 miles then all the sudden ****.... nothing.

It's looking like I need new sensors.

Yea it's looking like I need new sensors [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

I wonder if there is a fuse dedicated to tpms you could pull to get rid of the light in the mean time...

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These will definitely look 100 times better then those other rims you had. Good choice.

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought 2014 sport wheels the sensors do not work in my 2013

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wonder if there is a fuse dedicated to tpms you could pull to get rid of the light in the mean time...

If someone can confirm or deny this, that would be amazing. The dinging alarm and the blinking light is super annoying lol...

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought 2014 sport wheels the sensors do not work in my 2013

Yea I have to buy the proper sensors for a 2012 and have them put in. I think I'm going to wait because I will need a new inspection in November of 2017 and I'm guessing I will probably need new tires for inspection so I will throw in new sensors when I get new tires.

Theres no way im going to pay $200- $300 for a tire place to un-mount the tires, remove and replace the sensors, re-mount the tires, re-balance the wheels and put them back on. I just know they are gonna charge me $200- $300 to have that done and that's just rediculous to pay that when I know I'm gonna be buying tires 11/17.

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was quoted 85$ today to get my sensors pulled out of my stock 17s and put in the 20s. Or they can sale me new sensors for 200$ then charge mount and balance fee. On a positive note I'll have 2014 sensors for sale.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I have to buy the proper sensors for a 2012 and have them put in. I think I'm going to wait because I will need a new inspection in November of 2017 and I'm guessing I will probably need new tires for inspection so I will throw in new sensors when I get new tires.

Theres no way im going to pay $200- $300 for a tire place to un-mount the tires, remove and replace the sensors, re-mount the tires, re-balance the wheels and put them back on. I just know they are gonna charge me $200- $300 to have that done and that's just rediculous to pay that when I know I'm gonna be buying tires 11/17.

They just have to push the tire back with the arm thing on the tire machine and unscrew the old sensor and screw in the new one. When I replaced one on my wife grand caravan(which conveniently took a **** about 5k after the bumper to bumper expired[emoji849]) that's all they did for hers. Cost me 10 bucks plus the sensor. Just depends if you have a decent enough tire shop near you.