Difference between headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramfink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just realized my truck has two different headlights. Divers side has one bulb and the passenger side two bulbs for highbeam and low beam. What's the difference? Is one better/desireable. I just want to know so I can get the right replacement.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It sounds like you have a "dual" and a "quad" on the driver's and passenger's side, respectively. The quads are generally considered the better lights. So, I'd replace the driver's side.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've seen that before on a Gen3 Dodge Ram. It was a customer of mine, I told him the collision shop goofed and put two different headlights on his truck. He told me it was bought new and never been in an accident.

Yeap, you'll want the quad.

OP
OP
R

Ramfink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yea it's never been wrecked. But the previous owner was into cheap aftermarket parts. I'm thinking somtime in its life if had some eBay headlights and when he went back to stock he lost one but who knows. Guess I need an oem left quad headlight.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question about different Quads. I smacked a deer in my 2014 a couple weeks ago. Shattered the passenger headlight, headlight bracket, and tore the fender up. Long story short, I decided to fix it myself (deductible was higher than the fix). I ordered a Quad, put it in with the new bracket, and the next day I noticed something didn't look quite right. The drivers side, which is the original, looks like it is lightly smoked. The replacement OEM on the passenger side looks crystal clear. When I looked at CarParts, I didn't see any option for different shaded Quads, only the projector style. I know they make a black version of the Quad, but they look much different. So do they have a crystal, light smoke, and black version of the Quads? Maybe different years of the OEM had different options? Kinda makes me mad at myself, as I wanted to order the dark Quads, but was trying to save some money. But this will drive me nuts looking at it. Thanks for any help.