Diode dynamics LED plus DRL1 Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. New ram owner of a 2017 sport. Love everything but the lighting.
I've ordered the fx-r kit from TRS since I had that setup on my previous truck and it was amazing.
I also ordered the white/orange switchback DRLs from DD along with the DRL1 module from Daniel stern.

My question before I start the install. Do I need to install the DRL module to activate my DRL or does the diode dynamics LED kit become active with their wiring?

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to cracking these headlights open.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My advice would be to reach out to our vendor from Retroshop. Link is on the right....

His name is JJ and he will be able to get you in the right direction.

Good luck.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding is that they won't automatically activate DRL. The only thing that changes is the switchback/color and you would have to turn your "parking lights" for them to work.

OP
OP
S

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I PMd retroshop but no response.

Has anyone else installed this combo?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I PMd retroshop but no response.

Has anyone else installed this combo?

better chance of getting a reply from facebook or even try this.

Phone / Text - (314) 669-HIDS (4437) M-F 830am-5pm CST

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My understanding is that they won't automatically activate DRL. The only thing that changes is the switchback/color and you would have to turn your "parking lights" for them to work.

This is the correct answer. The DD boards only make the DRLs and parking lights white instead of amber. When those lights are on (or not) is unchanged from stock.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also, doesn't the DRL-1 just make your turn signals DRLs? Im that case, there's no point in the switchbacks because the parking light circuit is never powered.

If you want DRLs, the best thing to do is just connect the DRL pin on the headlights to ignition-switched power. This will make the DRLs turn on any time the truck is on.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you read the link I sent? It tells you what you need

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My bad. I was on my phone and couldn't tell it was a link.
Thanks. I will look now.

OP
OP
S

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I checked out that link. I'd actually read through it before.
So I know how to install the DRL module and I know how to install the DD switchbacks. But I don't know if I need to install both. My goal is to have automatic white LED driving lights.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I checked out that link. I'd actually read through it before.

So I know how to install the DRL module and I know how to install the DD switchbacks. But I don't know if I need to install both. My goal is to have automatic white LED driving lights.

You definitely don't want to install the DRL module. All that does is turn your signal light on constantly to act as a DRL. If you use that with the switchbacks, they'll never "switch back" to white because they'll never detect the turn signal going off.

You're going to need to connect the DRL input for the DD boards to ignition switched power, preferably with a relay. What I can't remember is whether the parking lights take precedence over the DRLs. If they don't, you'll need a relay to cut the power to the DRL input when the parking lights are on. I know I tested this with mine but I don't have them in front of me right now. I'm pretty sure they handle it, but I'm going to check with someone who knows for sure.

OP
OP
S

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You definitely don't want to install the DRL module. All that does is turn your signal light on constantly to act as a DRL. If you use that with the switchbacks, they'll never "switch back" to white because they'll never detect the turn signal going off.

You're going to need to connect the DRL input for the DD boards to ignition switched power, preferably with a relay. What I can't remember is whether the parking lights take precedence over the DRLs. If they don't, you'll need a relay to cut the power to the DRL input when the parking lights are on. I know I tested this with mine but I don't have them in front of me right now. I'm pretty sure they handle it, but I'm going to check with someone who knows for sure.

Awesome info. Thank you!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok, so I got the answer from the right guy. As we already know, the DD boards will get connected to the turn signals and parking lights. This will give a dimmed white when the parking lights are on and a full brightness amber when using the turn signals. The DRL wire gives a full brightness white. Connecting it to ignition switched power will give you DRLs any time the ignition is on.

Now, here's the tricky part and where the answer I got is important. On this particular product, the higher power mode on the white lights takes priority. That means that when you turn the parking lights on, the white will stay on at full brightness and not dim like it should. For that reason, I'd use a relay to cut the DRL circuit when the parking lights are on.

OP
OP
S

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Have you installed these?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Have you installed these?

I have not. I was planning on doing mine in the spring since it's too damn cold.

OP
OP
S

Slrsly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Roger that. I'm going to give it a shot next free weekend I have.
My wife's Durango has an option in her screen to turn her DRLs on/off. How lucky.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Roger that. I'm going to give it a shot next free weekend I have.
My wife's Durango has an option in her screen to turn her DRLs on/off. How lucky.

Yep. My 300 has the same thing.