Dirt under bedliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used my truck as a truck this weekend, hauling 6 loads of topsoil. When I finished, I gave the bed a good washdown, and just when I thought I was done I pointed the hose at the edge of the bedliner (plastic drop-in type, factory installed) and sprayed some water up in there. A whole lotta mud came out, meaning lots of dirt got up under the bedliner.

I kept spraying water under there until it came out clear, but I'm just wondering how much I need to worry about dirt and stones up under there - not that I'll ever see it under the bedliner, but I imagine the paint under there will get scratched up pretty bad over time, leading to unseen rust. Should I worry about that, or not?

It's a truck. It's made to get dirty, and I'm not the type to get my shorts in a bunch over some scratches in the bed - I just don't want to end up with a rusted out truck bed in 10 years. I don't haul dirt that often, but I will on occasion. Should I consider the drop-in liner temporary, and plan on replacing it with a spray-in liner in a few years? Or figure the rest of the truck will fall apart long before the bed rusts out, and not worry about it?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ran a few plastic bed liners in the late 80s and 90s. i removed them them and took a peek before i got rid of the trucks, yes there was some paint wear, but nothing like i have seen in the advertising photos. never has any rust and i live in the salt belt. just clean like you did and forget it.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The spray in liner will stop rust, and even if you plan on selling it, you're adding that peace of mind for prospective buyers.

If i was looking at a used truck, I'd insist on looking under the drop in liner. If it was a spray in liner, I would have no question that it was rust free.